What do I do? Questions, questions, questions...

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
panang

What do I do? Questions, questions, questions...

Post by panang »

So, I'm very new to Buddhism, and have been looking around this website, and the introductory resources, and I have learned a lot.

But, I don't really know what to do now. I've learned about the 4 noble truths, noble 8-fold path, 10 hindrances and paramitas, and other different things. But, now I feel more confused than when I began. :?:

I'm not sure what I should be doing to further my studies into the Dhamma. How I should be meditating and when. Should I meditate once per day, twice? Should I do both sitting and walking meditation? Is eating one meal per day important? What's the point of eating one meal per day? Should I study suttas every day? If so, where do I find them?

Sorry, for all the questions, or if I seem annoying.

Thanks, :heart:
Zentruckdriver

Re: What do I do? Questions, questions, questions...

Post by Zentruckdriver »

Hi Panang Im in a similar situation and for me its a bit like starting
a journey to somewhere I have never been before.(see im onto trucking already).

A bit nervous dont want to ask directions in fear of looking stupid or worrying about
getting lost and looking stupid but its exciting and a bit scary all at the same time.

Im sure the members on here will offer lots of useful advice but I would just like you
to know im in the same boat as your good self.

Kind Regards Paul. :console:
Dipping a toe in or pulling myself from a swamp...yeah that covers it for now.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Congratulations!
We all are going through that. It is time to experience.
Observe five precepts and do 20/30 minutes meditation?
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

panang wrote:Should I meditate once per day, twice? Should I do both sitting and walking meditation?
Both and meditate as time permits and also with a formal group, if available.
Is eating one meal per day important? What's the point of eating one meal per day?
See this thread: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3045
It is not necessary for lay people to eat once per day, but some find it helpful.
Should I study suttas every day? If so, where do I find them?
Many are online, access to insight and others.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

PS:
I started skipping evening meal since first of March this year.
Sometimes I have to break this due to social and personal issues.
I take some liquid, fruits and nuts instead of a full evening meal.
I found it is very helpful.
============================

" Eat, fast and live longer with Michael Mosley."
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16953
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

panang wrote: I'm not sure what I should be doing to further my studies into the Dhamma.
You might enjoy these discussions:

http://www.dhammastudygroup.org/dsgAudio.html
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I will recommend reading MN 27, and using it as a springboard to investigate, for a while. See what the steps are in the gradual path, and gently start seeing ways to do it yourself. In the sutta, the first step is going forth from the house life - ordination - but much can yet be done at the house.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
panang

Post by panang »

Zentruckdriver wrote: A bit nervous dont want to ask directions in fear of looking stupid or worrying about
getting lost and looking stupid but its exciting and a bit scary all at the same time.

Zentruckdriver, this describes me perfectly, haha. It's all just a bit scary, unknown and foreign, especially coming from a Southern American Christian background.

Thanks everyone, this should help me some. I guess I'll just meditate more, and learn a bit each day.

ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

panang wrote:
Zentruckdriver wrote: A bit nervous dont want to ask directions in fear of looking stupid or worrying about

Zentruckdriver, this describes me perfectly, haha. It's all just a bit scary, unknown and foreign, especially coming from a Southern American Christian background.

Thanks everyone, this should help me some. I guess I'll just meditate more, and learn a bit each day.

well i would watch this for starters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLvU7ppM4vE Yuttadhammo's videos got me into Buddhism never met him and still love the guy like a brother. Good luck on your journey :namaste:
"Ko imaṃ pathaviṃ vicessati, yamalokañca imaṃ sadevakaṃ.
ko dhammapadaṃ sudesitaṃ, kusalo pupphamiva pacessati"
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Could I point out to both Zentruckdriver AND panang, that this is not a race; there is no rush, there is no haste to be made, you just need to relax a bit and enjoy the ride....

While I perfectly well understand the inner urgent desire to 'know', to understand, to digest and implement that which you learn - and often, when such instructions fall into place, you feel like shouting it from the rooftops! - it's ok to just take your time, pause, breathe, and savour that moment with quiet introspection.

Zentruckdriver, it is exactly like a cross-country journey.... you actually start off with an empty trailer, but as you drive, you pick up the precious cargo that is the Dhamma.... but it's a beautiful day... the sun is shining, the road is clear, conditions are just wonderful, just exactly perfect as they are... open the window, lean your elbow out, gain a steady comfortable speed, not too fast, not too slow, and just .... cruise..... smile and wave at those on the same route as you... maybe they carry more, maybe less.... it's not important....And every now and then, stop at a truck-stop for a lovely cup of tea!

'Knowing' the 4 Noble truths, the Eightfold Path and the 5/8 Precepts, is one thing; but further study will show that in their apparent simplicity, they are in fact deep; profound, extremely complex at times and bewildering at others. It's worth always holding onto these for constant revision of what we believe we have come to know of them; there is always more to ingest....

But above all, enjoy! Share, and participate! Everyone is frirendly, everyone gives quite freely!
If you don't know the way - ask! Never, ever hesitate to ask!

You think none of us ever had these questions?
You think none of us ever climbed up into the cabin, behind the wheel, for the first time?

Have you any idea how long it just took ME to turn the key in the ignition - ?! :clap:

:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Nicro

Post by Nicro »

Personally I recommend starting with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/086171491 ... 247&sr=8-1

And a good translation of the dhammapada.

From there you can work your way into the Samyutta and anguttara nikayas.

I also like to download talks from teachers I respect to listen to in the car.
Zentruckdriver

Post by Zentruckdriver »

Hi No bs buddhist I did not mean to suggest it was a race,so if it sounded
like I did then that was not my intention,I just thought a few words of
encouragement and kindness from a fellow traveller may have helped.

I would like to say that Panang sounds further along the way than myself
and that my experience of Buddhism so far amounts to having Malaysian
and Thai friends who are Buddhists,some interesting tea drinking chats
with an American monk who I bump into from time to time and a lot of
travelling in Asia.

The little that I know has already helped me greatly in my day to day
life and given me a determination to learn more,my journey has really
only just begun and I have no idea how it will pan out.

So if it sounds like I dont know what Im talking about then you can assume
that its because I dont but hopefully what I do say is meant with kindness
and nothing else.

Kind Regards Paul
Dipping a toe in or pulling myself from a swamp...yeah that covers it for now.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

no; I know you made no such suggestion, Paul; I'm merely pointing out that many times, when someone comes to Buddhism for the first time, they're so enthusiastic about it, it often feels like rushing headlong into delight!

Nice to hear from you.

You're not as 'ignorant' as you claim.
Why, living life well, being nice to others, trying to not lie, steal or gossip - hmmm.... that's par for the (Buddhist) course! :jumping:

You're well on your way, dude!!

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Keep it simple. The Buddha said his teaching is to Avoid Evil, Do Good, Purify the Mind.
1. Avoid Evil
- Keep the 5 Precepts
2. Do Good
Practise Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood
3. Purify the Mind
- Practise Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, Right Concentration
In this way you develop wisdom, characterized by Right Understanding and Right Thoughts
indian_buddhist

Post by indian_buddhist »

Well I am just like you......A newbie into Buddhism. In my country in India there is no Sangha, no where to goto to seek answers. I refer the Pali canon(english translation) directly for any doubts or read and listen to good Theravada Monks like Bikkkhu Bodhi.

One good way (this is just my opinion and I could be greatly wrong.....Lol I am only 6 months into learning Buddhism) is to observe and if possible experience suffering. No this does not sound Nihilist but is actually Realist. This can be easily observed in normal daily lives with a little bit of awareness(Mindfulness). Remember entire Buddha's teaching is Suffering and cessation of Suffering and so UNDERSTANDING Suffering(First Noble Truth) is a good place to start with.
Identification with my country is one of my fetters.