S. N. Goenka (1924-2013) and his legacy

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
greenthumb

Re: S. N. Goenka (1924-2013) and his legacy

Post by greenthumb »

I was able to sit and serve with SN Goenka back in the late 90s at a Vipassana California retreat. As a server in the kitchen we had a cozy little group that would meditate with our teacher and have questions answered as well. My eyes leaked every time I sat with him and I felt very shy, I could hardly introduce myself my voice decided to hide as well. It was kind of an overwhelming experience, even though I had many retreats under my belt by that time. I was glad I could hide in the soap bubbles whilst washing dishes most of the day. My first Dhamma teacher and my meditation teachers helped me save my life and I will always be grateful. That's what I told Mr Goenka, I think that's why my eyes leaked, tears of gratitude.
Form is like a glob of foam; feeling, a bubble; perception, a mirage; fabrications, a banana tree; consciousness, a magic trick this has been taught by the Kinsman of the Sun. Phena Sutta: Foam
dagon

Post by dagon »

Hi All
This is a special website related to the courses in Vipassana Meditation as taught by Mr. S.N. Goenka that are conducted from time to time within prisons and other correction environments
http://www.prison.dhamma.org/

metta
paul
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

A full account of Goenakjis passing away , and the days there after is given below .

http://www.vridhamma.org/UploadNewslett ... 013-10.pdf

The Buddha said

Licchavis, the manifestation of five gems is rare in the world. What five? (1) The manifestation of a Tathāgata, an Arahant, a Perfectly Enlightened One is rare in the world. (2) A person who can teach the Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by a Tathāgata is rare in the world. (3) When the Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by a Tathāgata has been taught, a person who can understand it is rare in the world. (4) When the Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by a Tathāgata has been taught, a person who can understand it and practice in accordance with the Dhamma is rare in the world. (5) A grateful and thankful person is rare in the world. Licchavis, the manifestation of these five gems is rare in the world. ~~ AN 5.195 ~~
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
Ben

Post by Ben »

This is an excellent memorial piece published in Tricycle by one of SN Goenka's early western students.

http://www.tricycle.com/travel/8000-miles-india
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PsychedelicSunSet

Post by PsychedelicSunSet »

Ben wrote:This is an excellent memorial piece published in Tricycle by one of SN Goenka's early western students.

http://www.tricycle.com/travel/8000-miles-india

A wonderful read.

:anjali:
Metta
rolling_boulder

Post by rolling_boulder »

By all accounts a great teacher of the true Dhamma.

I was considering attending a meditation retreat with him this year. I put it off telling myself "surely next year I will have more time."

This is a powerful lesson in ardency for me.
The world is swept away. It does not endure...
The world is without shelter, without protector...
The world is without ownership. One has to pass on, leaving everything behind...
The world is insufficient, insatiable, a slave to craving.
izzy

Post by izzy »

David N. Snyder wrote:
:candle: :candle: :candle:

The purpose of this thread is to have a venue for posting about the great legacy this Dhamma master left us with and his great achievements with the Dhamma and spreading of the Dhamma. Feel free to post photos, stories, information about his success with propagating Dhamma, prison outreach, etc. Since this is in the Shrine sub-forum, all posts must be completely Respectful toward this great teacher and legend of the Dhamma. Any questions or critiques of his Vipassana techniques must be in other threads in other sub-forums, not here. Thanks for your cooperation.
This is the first time I've heard of him. Wow. Thank you very much for this. I've been watching some videos of him on youtube and I have no words. Very, very inspiring.

edit. removed picture from quote to avoid repetition
Ben

Post by Ben »

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..