Buddhism and modern psychology course...

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
appicchato

Buddhism and modern psychology course...

Post by appicchato »

This online course (from Princeton) begins today, but there's still time to sign up for those interested (totally free)...

The intro video on the page looks like the real deal...'see' you there...

https://www.coursera.org/course/psychbuddhism
:coffee:
Ben

Re: Buddhism and modern psychology course...

Post by Ben »

Thank you, Bhante.
I've just signed up.
With metta,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Real good Ben...I'm confident it will, in some respect, be beneficial to us both... :coffee:
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

I have also signed up. Than you, Bhante, for the 'heads up.'

As usual, I am going to sit at the back of the class, hoping that I don't get called on.
Last edited by Anagarika on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

BuddhaSoup wrote:...I am going to sit at the back of the class...
Ditto...'see' you in class...
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I signed up a few weeks ago, found the the first lesson interesting
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Wanted to bump this (just once)...lay people (and at least one monk) from all over the world are giving this series rave reviews...this fella is explaining things in a way that is resonating with many, both Buddhist, as well as secular... :coffee:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

appicchato wrote:Wanted to bump this (just once)...lay people (and at least one monk) from all over the world are giving this series rave reviews...this fella is explaining things in a way that is resonating with many, both Buddhist, as well as secular... :coffee:
I have enjoyed the first lectures and office hour videos.
Will be rewatching the lectures after work.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks for drawing the course to our attention, Venerable. It's certainly worth watching. It's very cool the way he enlists discussions with others to help with some points, including Bhikkhu bodhi, Shinzen Young, Joseph Goldstein...

The mid-term assignment requires an 800-word essay on either the Buddha's analysis of suffering or non-self. Would be interesting to submit an assignment if one had time...

:anjali:
Mike
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

mikenz66 wrote:Thanks for drawing the course to our attention...

Would be interesting to submit an assignment...
Happy to oblige...

Interesting, yes...although this one is way beyond composing an 800 word essay (on any topic), let alone in any way approaching coherency...we'll see though...still have a week to go... :coffee:
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

It's been really interesting, so far. He has been as rigorous as a person can be in that short time. I still haven't seen week 3's lectures, but I hope that the actual meaning of what the nun said, about feelings not being real, gets adressed in the not self lecture.

Metta
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

In the fourth week we're seeing some discussion of how modern psychology views the self. Interesting stuff... If you're pushed for time you could actually start with week 4, since the first three weeks are mostly explaining Buddhist views. On the other hand, the discussion of the Buddha's view on not self in week 3 was also very interesting...

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

All of the lectures are now up, though there will be another "office hours" wrap up next week. I Must say I have found this an extremely enjoyable course. Prof Wright has certainly thought long and hard about a number of issues...

I'd urge members to check it out, and, if you have time, answer some of the questions that come up on the extremely active discussion forum.

Mike
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

The discussion forum there is kind of a culture shock if you're used to Dhamma Wheel!
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Chraeloos

Post by Chraeloos »

Has anyone completed this course?

I submitted the final essay over the weekend. I had a few disagreements to the way he explained things particularly in the later lectures.

How many people are doing the final essay, I wonder?