Best meditation technique to fall asleep fast?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Anagarika

Re: Best meditation technique to fall asleep fast?

Post by Anagarika »

Viscid

Post by Viscid »

I can't believe no one recommended the the jumping sheep kasina meditation yet..

It's somewhere in the Abhidhamma, I'm pretty sure.

"What holds attention determines action." - William James
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Spiny Norman wrote:
waterchan wrote:
purple planet wrote:What is the best meditation technique to fall asleep fast ?
Reading the Digha Nikaya.
:jumping:
Are you questioning the efficacy of the anadighanikayavibhangasati meditation method?

I was actually half-serious. Reading some Buddhist texts in bed relaxes my mind and prepares it for sleep. And it's more conducive to sleep than more stimulating material like novels and news. Surely there are worse things to do before bed?

Also, you should first consider physical factors. Maybe you aren't tired enough during the day? A good gym workout can do wonders for your sleep.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Annatar

Post by Annatar »

Metta bhavana is said to help one to "sleep in comfort".

With metta,
Annatar
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I see the bright side of insomnia.
It gives me more time for my meditation.
I think, four hours sleep is enough for an adult.
If body does not want to sleep let it be awake.
Keep body still and eventually it will sleep.
Who said that we have to sleep?
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
binocular

Post by binocular »

purple planet wrote:What is the best meditation technique to fall asleep fast ?
There's the Mr. Bean counting sheep to fall asleep method - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmbmNp1 ... 1RDCE#t=69 ...

But apart from that, what I find most useful for falling asleep fast is to formally conclude my day. I check off my to-do list, make a plan for tomorrow, prepare menu and food for tomorrow, clothes, shoes, and bag.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Zentruckdriver

Post by Zentruckdriver »

In general I sleep very well,years of working odd hours have conditioned me to
sleep on demand if you like.

If I do find that going to sleep is elusive then counting down from 100 works for me,
sometimes I have to repeat the countdown but I never remember what number I get
to the second time.

I have no meditation training but hope to explore the subject one day soon.

Kind Regards
Paul
Dipping a toe in or pulling myself from a swamp...yeah that covers it for now.
dxm_dxm

Post by dxm_dxm »

You know why the lotus position was invented ? In order for you not to fall asleep and say more focused. I do not know about vipassana but concentration meditation works extremelly well at falling asleep. The thing is that you should not have falling asleep as a goal. The only way to make it work is the classic way: you start meditating intending to meditate and in 1 minute you are asleep, only that now it is not a bad thing anymore, that's what you wanted
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Basic yoga is great for this. :smile: The stretching activity has a relaxing effect on the muscles, especially the larger muscle groups of the legs. Combined with gentle attention on breathing while doing the postures, good to do before bed. :anjali:
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

dxm_dxm wrote:You know why the lotus position was invented ? In order for you not to fall asleep and say more focused. I do not know about vipassana but concentration meditation works extremelly well at falling asleep. The thing is that you should not have falling asleep as a goal. The only way to make it work is the classic way: you start meditating intending to meditate and in 1 minute you are asleep, only that now it is not a bad thing anymore, that's what you wanted
SMH...
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

dxm_dxm wrote:You know why the lotus position was invented ? In order for you not to fall asleep and say more focused. I do not know about vipassana but concentration meditation works extremelly well at falling asleep. The thing is that you should not have falling asleep as a goal. The only way to make it work is the classic way: you start meditating intending to meditate and in 1 minute you are asleep, only that now it is not a bad thing anymore, that's what you wanted
:jawdrop:

I think you may need to review your knowledge on this subject because to be honest (forgive my bluntness) the content of your post, is totally risible..... :jumping:

It is so flawed, it is impossible to know where to start.... :jedi:
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
PsychedelicSunSet

Post by PsychedelicSunSet »

seeker242 wrote:Basic yoga is great for this. :smile: The stretching activity has a relaxing effect on the muscles, especially the larger muscle groups of the legs. Combined with gentle attention on breathing while doing the postures, good to do before bed. :anjali:
I've always found that yoga before bed wakes me up, and makes it harder to fall asleep. :shrug:

:anjali:
Metta
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

You know why the lotus position was invented ? In order for you not to fall asleep and say more focused. I do not know about vipassana but concentration meditation works extremelly well at falling asleep. The thing is that you should not have falling asleep as a goal. The only way to make it work is the classic way: you start meditating intending to meditate and in 1 minute you are asleep, only that now it is not a bad thing anymore, that's what you wanted

i got it actually - its :goodpost: and what i thought .... you meditate without trying to fall asleep ... and you fall asleep and if you dont... jhana is not such a bad thing either - and it was interesting about the lotus i thought its for back pain (which clearly does the opposite to most people that try it :lol: )