Observing Unwholesome Thoughts

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Strive4Karuna

Observing Unwholesome Thoughts

Post by Strive4Karuna »

I have too many unwholesome thoughts and defilement and I am a judgmental person. Getting bombarded daily by my mind, what do I do when these unwholesome thoughts arise. Is it sufficient to watch the thought arise and pass or do I have to put in a counter-thought to overcome the defilement.
Like an experienced carpenter or carpenter's apprentice, striking hard at, pushing out, and getting rid of a coarse peg with a fine one, should the bhikkhu in order to get rid of the adventitious object, reflect on a different object which is connected with skill.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el021.html
santa100

Re: Observing Unwholesome Thoughts

Post by santa100 »

5 strategies to respond to unskillful thoughts in MN 20
EDIT: sorry that I repost the same sutta as your original link. So basically try to follow the strategies' sequence if the unskillful thought persists..
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Strive4Karuna wrote:I have too many unwholesome thoughts and defilement and I am a judgmental person.
It might be helpful to read the essay Judicious vs. Judgemental by Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Strive4Karuna wrote:Getting bombarded daily by my mind, what do I do when these unwholesome thoughts arise. Is it sufficient to watch the thought arise and pass or do I have to put in a counter-thought to overcome the defilement.
Each thought requires an appropriate and skillful response. Some unwholesome thoughts will go away on their own after seeing them arise and pass. Other thoughts, after they pass, will arise again or continue a chain of unwholesome thoughts. In this case it's useful to try all five approaches listed in MN 20 in turn until one of them works to eliminate the unwholesome thought. It's also helpful to try to understand the conditions that give rise to the unwholesome thinking in the first place and try to develop a regular practice that will directly address the identified causes.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Strive4Karuna wrote:I have too many unwholesome thoughts and defilement and I am a judgmental person. Getting bombarded daily by my mind, what do I do when these unwholesome thoughts arise. Is it sufficient to watch the thought arise and pass or do I have to put in a counter-thought to overcome the defilement.
I think relaxed attention is important. If one learns to gently relax and let go of worries about "getting bombarded"then the mind naturally becomes more open and settled.

:anjali:
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Strive4Karuna wrote:I have too many unwholesome thoughts and defilement and I am a judgmental person. Getting bombarded daily by my mind, what do I do when these unwholesome thoughts arise. Is it sufficient to watch the thought arise and pass or do I have to put in a counter-thought to overcome the defilement.
In terms of the 8-fold path Right Mindfulness, Right Intention and Right Effort would seem to be relevant here. From a practical point of view you may find that accepting an unwholesome thought without judgement has the affect of "defusing" it.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
binocular

Post by binocular »

One approach is this:

One probably has some duties to attend to during the day - work, home chores etc.
It is possible to attend to those duties even if one's mind is a bit of a mess. The idea is to focus on the task at hand, and not get involved in the mental chatter. This is possible.

The unwholesome thoughts could also arise because one doesn't have the skills necessary to do one's work, so there is some negativity in one's mind. In this case, it is necessary to first improve one's work skills.

Here are some ideas, for example: http://calnewport.com/blog/2008/01/30/q ... y-classes/
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

Like an experienced carpenter or carpenter's apprentice, striking hard at, pushing out, and getting rid of a coarse peg with a fine one, should the bhikkhu in order to get rid of the adventitious object, reflect on a different object which is connected with skill.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el021.html
First Jhana Technique: Here quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states one enters upon the first jhana which has thinking and pondering with rapture and pleasure of seclusion.

Second Jhana Technique: With the stilling of thinking and pondering, by gaining internal serene confidence and unification of mind one enters upon the second jhana which is without thinking and pondering with rapture and pleasure of concentration.