Buddha Anussati; Buddha Vandana

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Jetavan

Buddha Anussati; Buddha Vandana

Post by Jetavan »

The phrase used in the Recollection of the Buddha and in the chanted Homage to the Buddha is:

"Iti pi so bhagavā arahaṃ sammā-saṃbuddho vijjācaraṇasaṃpanno sugato lokavidū anuttaro purisadammasārathī satthā devamanussānaṃ buddho bhagavā ti."

I was wondering what the "so" meant in the phrase "Iti pi so"? "Iti" means "thus" and "pi" means "so; even so".
pulga

Re: Buddha Anussati; Buddha Vandana

Post by pulga »

Jetavan wrote: I was wondering what the "so" meant in the phrase "Iti pi so"? "Iti" means "thus" and "pi" means "so; even so".
I would take it to be the pronoun "he", the singular, nominative, masculine of eta(d), i.e. eso. The "e" is elided due to the rules of sandhi: dissimilar vowels usually aren't allowed to run together in Pali.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
bharadwaja

Re: Buddha Anussati; Buddha Vandana

Post by bharadwaja »

pulga wrote:I would take it to be the pronoun "he", the singular, nominative, masculine of eta(d), i.e. eso. The "e" is elided due to the rules of sandhi: dissimilar vowels usually aren't allowed to run together in Pali.
Almost correct, except that eso and so are different. eso is the sing. masc. nom. form of eta(d), so is the sing. masc. nom of ta(d).

"Eso" is used when the person referred to is within eyesight. "So" is used when the person is away and not visible.