Buddha’s Hand Gestures.

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
SarathW

Buddha’s Hand Gestures.

Post by SarathW »

Buddha’s Hand Gestures.

Many observers think that Buddha’s statue is just another idle or a craft.
To me Buddha’s statues have a wider meaning.
It can be used as a leaning tool.
Please share your experience here.
:anjali:

http://fengshui.about.com/od/use-of-fen ... ome_10.htm
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
manas

Re: Buddha’s Hand Gestures.

Post by manas »

Hi Sarath

thanks for posting that link. I've always been drawn to this mudra (just found out it's called the 'Dharmacakra Mudra'):

from the link:
What is Dharmachakra Mudra? Dharmachakra mudra expresses the continuous energy (symbolized by a wheel/chakra) of the cosmic order. The hands are placed at the heart level with the thumbs and index fingers forming circles (similar to Vitarka mudra). The right palm faces outwards and the left one faces towards the heart.

This mudra is associated with Buddha's first sermon, or teaching. It is often referred to as the representation of teaching about the cosmic order as coming from (or through) the heart center.
kind regards
manas
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
SarathW

Re: Buddha’s Hand Gestures.

Post by SarathW »

My Favourite is Dhyana :
See whether you can spot the following:

A standard version of the posture is this:
• Sit on the floor or your folded blanket with your left leg folded in front of you,
and your right leg folded on top of your left leg. Place your hands on your lap, palms
up, with your right hand on top of the left. (To prevent this posture from causing an
imbalance in your spine, you can alternate sides by sometimes placing your left leg on
top of your right leg, and your left hand on top of your right hand.)
• Bring your hands close to your stomach. This will help keep your back straight
and minimize the tendency to hunch over.
• Sit straight, look straight in front of you, and close your eyes. If closing your eyes
makes you feel uncomfortable or induces feelings of sleepiness, you can leave them half
open—although if you do, don’t look straight ahead. Lower your gaze to a spot on the
floor about three feet in front of you. Keep your focus soft. Be careful not to let it
harden into a stare.
• Notice if your body feels like it’s leaning to the left or the right. If it is, relax the
muscles that are pulling it in that direction, so that you bring your spine into a
reasonably straight alignment.
• Pull your shoulders back slightly and then down, to create a slight arch in your
middle and lower back. Pull your stomach in a bit, so that the back muscles aren’t
doing all the work in keeping you erect.
• Relax into this posture. In other words, see how many muscles you can relax in
your torso, hips, etc., and still stay erect. This step is important, for it helps you to stay
with the posture with a minimum of strain.

http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writ ... 130123.pdf
:meditate:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”