Bhikkhu Thanissaro and other scholars on Mahasi

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Anagarika

Re: Bhikkhu Thanissaro and other scholars on Mahasi

Post by Anagarika »

My sense is that Ajahn Geoff is very much is the sutta jhanas corner, and while I have never read or heard of him commenting on the Burmese methods, I would surmise that he's not likely to be supportive of a method that is not jhana founded, ie founded on samatha and vipassana as core elements of jhana.

I was interested in the topic from the OP and found this: http://youtu.be/m3tUCtwmVGY Ven. Sujato's take on Mahasi method, which he both praises and distinguishes.

With the above, I'm not making any judgments...I'm meditation lazy some weeks, and struggle not only to practice steadily but to understand competently the practice as my teachers recommend. Everyone's mileage will vary with respect to their chosen meditation path.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

BuddhaSoup wrote:My sense is that Ajahn Geoff is very much is the sutta jhanas corner, and while I have never read or heard of him commenting on the Burmese methods, I would surmise that he's not likely to be supportive of a method that is not jhana founded, ie founded on samatha and vipassana as core elements of jhana.
As has been pointed out on other threads, Ven Thanissaro's take on Sutta Jhana seems to be quite similar to the "Vipassana Jhanas" discussed by U Pandita in the context of the Mahasi approach: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11742
It would be a mistake to assume that the Mahasi practitioners do not pay attention to the jhana factors. See: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Pan ... hanas.html especially from about here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Pan ... Hindrances

:anjali:
Mike
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

mikenz66 wrote:
BuddhaSoup wrote:My sense is that Ajahn Geoff is very much is the sutta jhanas corner, and while I have never read or heard of him commenting on the Burmese methods, I would surmise that he's not likely to be supportive of a method that is not jhana founded, ie founded on samatha and vipassana as core elements of jhana.
As has been pointed out on other threads, Ven Thanissaro's take on Sutta Jhana seems to be quite similar to the "Vipassana Jhanas" discussed by U Pandita in the context of the Mahasi approach: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11742
It would be a mistake to assume that the Mahasi practitioners do not pay attention to the jhana factors. See: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Pan ... hanas.html especially from about here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Pan ... Hindrances

Mike
Would it be fair to say that Ajahn Geoff does not bifurcate the elements of jhana, ie by describing a samatha jhana and a vipassana jhana? My understanding of a possible difference here is that Ven. Thanissaro's definition of jhana from the suttas encompasses jhana as being made up of both samatha and vipassana as byproducts or core integrated elements of jhana itself. Without samatha, or with vipassana only, it is not jhana as the suttas describe. I believe the analogy was the wings of a bird; that the bird, to take flight, needs the two wings of samatha and vipassana working together to be sutta jhana. I feel that this is where the Thanissaro definition, and that of the great Burmese teachers, differs.
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

BuddhaSoup wrote: Would it be fair to say that Ajahn Geoff does not bifurcate the elements of jhana, ie by describing a samatha jhana and a vipassana jhana? My understanding of a possible difference here is that Ven. Thanissaro's definition of jhana from the suttas encompasses jhana as being made up of both samatha and vipassana as byproducts or core integrated elements of jhana itself. Without samatha, or with vipassana only, it is not jhana as the suttas describe. I believe the analogy was the wings of a bird; that the bird, to take flight, needs the two wings of samatha and vipassana working together to be sutta jhana. I feel that this is where the Thanissaro definition, and that of the great Burmese teachers, differs.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Ajahn Sujato has a free book on these two "wings", as you describe it, but he calls them "A Swift Pair of Messengers". I'm still working my way through that book, digging through all of his very heavy references to the Sutta Pitaka.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BuddhaSoup wrote:
Would it be fair to say that Ajahn Geoff does not bifurcate the elements of jhana, ie by describing a samatha jhana and a vipassana jhana? My understanding of a possible difference here is that Ven. Thanissaro's definition of jhana from the suttas encompasses jhana as being made up of both samatha and vipassana as byproducts or core integrated elements of jhana itself. Without samatha, or with vipassana only, it is not jhana as the suttas describe. I believe the analogy was the wings of a bird; that the bird, to take flight, needs the two wings of samatha and vipassana working together to be sutta jhana. I feel that this is where the Thanissaro definition, and that of the great Burmese teachers, differs.
Huh? Vipassana jhana can easily being seen as being quite congruent with sutta jhana. Vipassana jhana is not a matter of theoretical thought experiments. It is the result of actual practice. But one has to keep in mind that context that is behind this discussion, and that is the hardcore jhana of the Visuddhimagga.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

mikenz66 wrote:Well, I guess the topic was Ven Mahasi. I think that fixating on the labelling aspect would be analogous to saying that Thanissaro Bhikkhu's entire approach is based on breath manipulation or Ajahn Chahs' on [insert random Ajahn Chah one-liner here].
I think a lot of people get confused between "noting" and "labelling" in the Mahasi technique, they are two different things. I think it arises because noting has to be taught in words and words are labels, so when the teacher says "note hearing, hearing" the student thinks that repeating the words "hearing, hearing" in his mind is noting.

Noting is just being aware of and observing the process of hearing, labelling it with words might be helpful for a beginner or when attention is scattered but should be dropped when not needed, before it becomes too habitual.

That's how I was taught anyway.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

BuddhaSoup wrote: Would it be fair to say that Ajahn Geoff does not bifurcate the elements of jhana, ie by describing a samatha jhana and a vipassana jhana? My understanding of a possible difference here is that Ven. Thanissaro's definition of jhana from the suttas encompasses jhana as being made up of both samatha and vipassana as byproducts or core integrated elements of jhana itself. Without samatha, or with vipassana only, it is not jhana as the suttas describe. I believe the analogy was the wings of a bird; that the bird, to take flight, needs the two wings of samatha and vipassana working together to be sutta jhana. I feel that this is where the Thanissaro definition, and that of the great Burmese teachers, differs.
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the Mahasi approach. You seem to be under the impression that the Mahasi method does not develop samatha and vipassana in tandem, whereas that parallel development is exactly how I have experienced the practice.

I'm not particularly familiar with Ven Thanissaro's particular instructions, but from his talks and writing I have the impression that they are not so different from the way I practice. Of course, like any teacher, he has his favourite tips and tricks, but I'm focussing on how mindfulness and samatha is developed in general, not particular technique.

The most significant difference in this jhana area, seems to me to be that is that Ven Thanissaro's (and many others') "sutta jhana" and what U Pandita calls "vipassana jhana" are much less absorbed than what is described as jhana in the Visuddhimagga, and by other teachers such as Ajahn Brahm.

Even then, without some parallel development of mindfulness and vipassana, I don't think that sort of "deep (Visuddhimagga/Brahm) jhana" is possible. That's clear from the instructions in the Visuddhimagga, and from Ajahn Brahm. So to me these approaches just have differences in emphasis, and order of development. Not some fundamental difference in Dhamma. And clearly all of these approaches are completely consistent with the suttas:
"There is the case of the individual who has attained internal tranquillity of awareness, but not insight into phenomena through heightened discernment. Then there is the case of the individual who has attained insight into phenomena through heightened discernment, but not internal tranquillity of awareness. Then there is the case of the individual who has attained neither internal tranquillity of awareness nor insight into phenomena through heightened discernment. And then there is the case of the individual who has attained both internal tranquillity of awareness & insight into phenomena through heightened discernment.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
See also:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Mike