Dana - suggested places to make donations

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Ben

Dana - suggested places to make donations

Post by Ben »

Hi Mawk,
Mawkish1983 wrote:
Ben wrote:Oh, dear me! No no no no!!!!!!!
I wouldn't even make a hint that anyone should give dana!
... but if we wanted to donate some money via paypal without our wives (who might forbid all financial transactions of a selfless nature) knowing, is there a system in place? How much does this place cost to operate (or is it secret?)?
Perhaps our wives were separated at birth!
I've previously raised the issue with 'TheDhamma' who owns Dhamma Wheel with an aim of making a donation. TheDhamma assured me that the running costs of Dhamma Wheel were inconsequential. If you would like to give Dana, then perhaps you could approach him with an offer to assist with DW's running costs.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Rational for Making Forums Invisible to Guests?

Post by DNS »

Mawkish1983 wrote: ... but if we wanted to donate some money via paypal without our wives (who might forbid all financial transactions of a selfless nature) knowing, is there a system in place? How much does this place cost to operate (or is it secret?)?
Hi Mawk,

Thank you for the offer, very much appreciated. But the costs to run this site are very small. There is domain name registration which is only about $10 USD per year and there is web hosting, which is more, but right now that is not very much either, until we reach something like 1 million posts or more. At that time, the web hosting will need to be upgraded to allow for more storage of information and more monthly bandwith. Even at that time I have no problem incurring the cost or if it should be too much, we could take up a collection as needed.

Thanks again. :anjali:
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Thank you, David.

:namaste:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

How about a dana button so that folks could make contributions that would be forwarded to a worthy cause? That would create a further opportunity for members to practice dana.

Although I can see how you might wish to avoid even the appearance of a money-motivated effort ...

(btw, thanks David for your generosity!)
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thank you very much David, I am very grateful to be part of this helpful and friendly online community. :group:
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Jechbi
Jechbi wrote:How about a dana button so that folks could make contributions that would be forwarded to a worthy cause? That would create a further opportunity for members to practice dana.

Although I can see how you might wish to avoid even the appearance of a money-motivated effort ...

(btw, thanks David for your generosity!)
I think that's a great idea. It is while I was a mod on another forum the thought came to me of how great it would be if we could, via the forum or some other internet-application, contribute financially to the maintenance of our monastic friends. Your 'dana button' reminded me all over again!
Cheers

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

A pinned 'Dana' thread with links to pertinent websites might go a ways in this direction...maybe start with Global Buddhist Relief... http://www.buddhistglobalrelief.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...which works with many reputable relief organizations that are already up and running... :thumbsup:
Last edited by appicchato on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Bhante and Ben, that's a great idea. Here's a good link, with a nice, inspiring video. Not sure where a pinned dana thread or button might be most suitable on this board. Perhaps a matter for the mods/admins discretion ...
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Dana - suggested places to make donations

Post by DNS »

This discussion is now here in the Announcements forum in the pinned area, so that all can see. Anyone can place a link or make a suggestion as to some worthy Buddhist causes and charities.

:group: :anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

http://www.sakyadhita.org/pages/events.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Sakyadhita Association of Buddhist women, supports bhikkhunis

http://www.bhikkhuni.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Alliance for Bhikkhunis, also supports bhikkhunis
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

what is the heart???
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Manapa wrote:what is the heart???
You noticed!

For metta, love, karuna, and all the other good traits that come with generosity / dana.

:heart:
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Great idea, I tried it out a while back in the lounge and didn't get much of a response - so it's great to see it's taken off.
http://www.thaistudentcharity.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Great charity helping poor Thai students get ahead with their studies, rather than a life in the paddy fields - Run by former Monk and Author Peter Robinson.
http://www.buddhanet.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Always good to help promote the Dhamma.
and http://www.liberationprisonproject.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - They're a great cause, helping to teach and reach out to those who deserve a 2nd chance.
Sorry if any are a repost I skim read the thread.

Have a good day :)
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Jechbi

Give blood today

Post by Jechbi »

Please give blood. Your act could save a life. Not only that, but it's good for your personal physical health. And not only that, but if you're fearful or squeamish, it is a wonderful opportunity to practice moment-to-moment awareness and directly engage your unpleasant feelings in a safe, medically supervised environment. Think practice.

Not only that, but it's free. You don't have to pay for this mini-retreat.

No more excuses!

:heart: