Why?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
chethinie

Why?

Post by chethinie »

Hello,
I am curious to know why all the Buddhas were and will be born in India/Nepal? Is there any specific reason for it?

Thanks for any feedback :smile:

Chethinie
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Why?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is one of those fruitless questions, with no satisfactory answer.

The best anyone can say, is “This it what it says in such and such a text or Commentary.” You are free to take it or leave it, but what will you do with the answer?

The important thing is to understand the teaching of the Buddha, which means to understand the truth of suffering, abandon its cause (craving), realise the cessation of suffering (nibbāna), and cultivate the path leading to cessation (the eightfold noble path).
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Does it really say that the future Buddhas will be born in Nepal? Because at the time of the Buddha, there wasn't a Nepal...

So when this universe ends and another world system begins, will those Buddhas be born, in "Nepal", on planet Earth, all over again?
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

I'm not entirely convinced that the word we generally translate to mean India wasn't used more widely to indicate the whole world in general... just in a more familiar sense.

I'm no Pali expert though...

Either way, it isn't something I worry much about honestly. It doesn't affect the here and now too much. :anjali:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

chethinie wrote:Hello,
I am curious to know why all the Buddhas were and will be born in India/Nepal? Is there any specific reason for it?

Thanks for any feedback :smile:

Chethinie
One of the special qualities of Jampudipa is that it is possible to live the holy life there.