Delusion

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Dhm100

Re: Delusion

Post by Dhm100 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:47 am

befriend wrote:hatred is caused by focusing on negative things, lust is caused by focusing on beautiful things, and delusion is caused from spacing out. correct me if im wrong but I know that out of the 3 personality types one predominantly falls into deluded people are more prone to walk into a room and don't know what to do or say, and get spacey and are also easily influenced by others. if your referring to schizophrenics, psychosis and individuals with strong delusion, it can be caused from trauma.
Yes exactly including depressed people which can be caused also by dwelling in negativity most of the time. But both negative and positive thinking are both delusion in the deepest sense but only negativity that can cause mental illness.

If a person being kept in a secluded small room most of the time and no contact with other human, most people will go mad. Does anyone know what is the spiritual explanation about this?

cooran

Post by cooran » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:53 am

This might be of interest:

Mental Illness according to Theravada Buddhism
http://btmar.org/files/pdf/Mental-Illness-Paper.pdf

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:36 am

Dhm100 wrote: But it happens all the time, it seems to be a kind of pattern. Just in case, someone has similar experience.
Sure the pattern ... and the problem

Dhm100 wrote: If a person being kept in a secluded small room most of the time and no contact with other human, most people will go mad. Does anyone know what is the spiritual explanation about this?
The dwelling is just the half part of the problem, the other half goes to how one relates to them.
…"The thought occurred to me: 'When brahmans or contemplatives who are drooling idiots, resort to isolated forest or wilderness dwellings, it's the fault of their drooling idiocy that they give rise to unskillful fear & terror. But it's not the case that I am a drooling idiot, when I resort to isolated forest or wilderness dwellings. I am consummate in discernment. I am one of those noble ones who are consummate in discernment when they resort to isolated forest or wilderness dwellings.' Seeing in myself this consummate discernment, I felt even more undaunted about staying in the wilderness.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

culaavuso

Post by culaavuso » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Dhm100 wrote: If a person being kept in a secluded small room most of the time and no contact with other human, most people will go mad. Does anyone know what is the spiritual explanation about this?
Greed for enjoyable feelings as a result of pleasure, praise, reputation, gain.
Aversion to uncomfortable feelings as a result of pain, blame, disrepute, loss.
Restlessness from focusing on wishes for pleasurable or painful feeling as opposed to neutral feelings.
Insufficient equanimity, endurance, contentment, renunciation, and patience to skillfully handle whatever forces may arise from greed, aversion, and restlessness.

AN 8.6
AN 8.6: Lokavipatti Sutta wrote: He welcomes the arisen gain and rebels against the arisen loss. He welcomes the arisen status and rebels against the arisen disgrace. He welcomes the arisen praise and rebels against the arisen censure. He welcomes the arisen pleasure and rebels against the arisen pain. As he is thus engaged in welcoming & rebelling, he is not released from birth, aging, or death; from sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, or despairs. He is not released, I tell you, from suffering & stress.
This is somewhat related to the psychological concept of Locus of Control

Also relevant is MN 122
MN 122: Maha-suññata Sutta wrote: Ananda, a monk does not shine if he delights in company, enjoys company, is committed to delighting in company; if he delights in a group, enjoys a group, rejoices in a group. Indeed, Ananda, it is impossible that a monk who delights in company, enjoys company, is committed to delighting in company; who delights in a group, enjoys a group, rejoices in a group, will obtain at will — without difficulty, without trouble — the pleasure of renunciation, the pleasure of seclusion, the pleasure of peace, the pleasure of self-awakening. But it is possible that a monk who lives alone, withdrawn from the group, can expect to obtain at will — without difficulty, without trouble — the pleasure of renunciation, the pleasure of seclusion, the pleasure of peace, the pleasure of self-awakening.