How can I deal with irritability in the morning?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
EmptyCittas1by1

How can I deal with irritability in the morning?

Post by EmptyCittas1by1 »

I notice that when I wake up, I'm irritable and unmindful for about an hour. I try to be mindful but there's just some block. I've tried investigating, but it's very difficult.

What have you guys found to be the main cause of irritability?
"Eat little! Sleep little! Speak little! Whatever it may be of worldly habit, lessen them, go against their power. Don't just do as you like, don't indulge in your thought. Stop this slavish following. You must constantly go against the stream of ignorance. This is called "Discipline." When you discipline your heart, it becomes very dissatisfied and begins to struggle. It becomes restricted and oppressed. When the heart is prevented from doing what it wants to do, it starts wandering and struggling. Suffering becomes apparent to us."

— Ajahn Chah
Baylien

Re: How can I deal with irritability in the morning?

Post by Baylien »

Hi,
I'm just a beginner in all this, but here's some thoughts
Not sure on your age, but blood sugar could be doing this, or
Sometimes, drugs like smoking, caffiene etc can be a cause. if unsure a quick check up at the docs will help alleviate any worry.
or maybe its just a need to control things, wanting this not wanting that etc.
Maybe If when you experience this next time, ask why you are feeling this way, pick up on what is continuing this
as its usually just mind bable, and us taking notice and acting on it.
As soon as I'm aware of this sort of discomfort, I stop, let it have the conversation, give metta without acting on the conversation.
If we do nothing it wont feed the want.
Hope this help a bit
:anjali:
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

hi emptycittas1

i think the main cause of my irritability in the mornings is failure to prepare thhings properly the night before.
i can find myself pressed for time and put myself under unneccessary pressure by rushing.
ive found how my attitude in the morning has a great bearing on my mood for the rest of the day so i try to feel gratitude first thing in the morning.
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Hi EC1by1,

There are lots of possible causes. Diet, not getting enough sleep, not sleeping well, unresolved stress, going to sleep to late, and not keeping a regular sleeping schedule immediately come to my mind and any could well be causative factors. If you provide some more details, I could give better tips but here are some general ones.

• Don’t eat late at night; stay away from caffeine, sugar, etc. at night.
• Eat whole foods, organic if possible: vegetables (especially green leafy and cruciferous), fungi, beans, whole grains, fruit.
• Get enough sleep, at least 6-8 hours .
• If you’re not sleeping well (awake at night, waking up in middle of night), figure out what’s causing it; the tips here might help.
• Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. So said Ben Franklin and it’s true in my experience. Go to bed earlier and wake up earlier.
• Go to bed and wake up at the same time whenever possible

My personal experience based on hindsight:

I used to be irritable and groggy in the morning because I hated the feelings associated with waking up, I hated the morning, I hated the whole concept of it. I was depressed at the time so I hated a lot of things. I also usually went to bed around 3am on the weekdays and woke up for school around 8pm so I never got enough sleep. I was chronically tired and that contributed to irritability. I hated the thought of facing another pointless day. I hated getting out of my warm, comfortable bed. On the weekends, I avoided the morning by going to bed ridiculously late and waking up some time in the late afternoon.

Hope some of that helps.

:smile:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

A tip that worked well for me - yet most of the time i dont do now days is :

to go to sleep mindful - be mindful of the preparation to go to sleep as much as possible and be mindful of you breathing after lying down
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

When I was living for a couple of months as an Anagarika at Wat Pah Nanachat back in '02 I experienced not only what you describe but fear every morning. I struggled with dreams of home and beloved sibblings, friends, favorite pasttimes and stuff like that. Then waking up in a Thai Forest at roughly 3 am to go on pindabat when everything is dark, sometimes wet and cold gave me a horrible feeling of "what am I doing here". What I discovered was that this as well as any other mental sensation and feelings vanish. Especially when the sun rose I felt much much better.

So obviously your situation is way different, you're most likely not suffering with weired culture shock difficulties, but the basic principle stays: whatever arises ceases. Just try to be aware and stay interested and observant with your Irritability. Make this your worthy opponent.

Back then I tried playing around with doing things a bit differently:
- started chanting the metta sutta and other rather short but beautiful chants to prepare myself with something beautiful before going "to bed"
- got up 10 minutes earlier than necessary to practice some walking meditation to counter that onslaught of emotions and anxiety

Basically try to start your new day with something beautiful, enjoyable, something to feel comfortable when waking up and doing this before any other thing or heavy thinking about difficult emotions. As well as ending each day with something equally beautiful.

That helped back then :namaste:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
EmptyCittas1by1

Post by EmptyCittas1by1 »

Thanks guys :anjali:
"Eat little! Sleep little! Speak little! Whatever it may be of worldly habit, lessen them, go against their power. Don't just do as you like, don't indulge in your thought. Stop this slavish following. You must constantly go against the stream of ignorance. This is called "Discipline." When you discipline your heart, it becomes very dissatisfied and begins to struggle. It becomes restricted and oppressed. When the heart is prevented from doing what it wants to do, it starts wandering and struggling. Suffering becomes apparent to us."

— Ajahn Chah
befriend

Post by befriend »

if you start practicing metta, you will eventually wake up like a flower blooming, refreshed and without lethargy and also happy, I can vouch for this. it also causes one to sleep soundly and have pleasant dreams and no nightmares.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Some practice and / or a nice cup of black tea and a bite to eat work for me.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
PimonratC

Post by PimonratC »

practice practice practice

and practice

:anjali:

chownah

Post by chownah »

If you try all of the great advise already given and it doesn't work then just stay in bed and meditate while flat on your back for that grumpy hour.....if you consistently fall asleep while doing this then it is a sign that your body needs more sleep and that hour will help to give it to you.
chownah