A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mirco

Ordained & the social networking services

Post by mirco »

_()_

Dhamma Greetings All,

recently, I stumbled upon these thoughts:

Due to the Vinaya,
Bhikkhunis and Bhikkhus are only allowed to take what is offered to them.

But neither the accounts at social networking services (like Facebook, Google+, Ning, etc.)
or like at boards like dhammawheel, nor the service itself
have been offered to the Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis.

What do you think?

May All Beings Be Well

_()_
SarathW

Re: Ordained & the social networking services

Post by SarathW »

Hi Micro

I can’t see any problems.
Buddha also had a board. He had two of his main desiple (CEO and MD)
Then anyone enter the order has to take ten precepts (signing up)
They also had a code of conduct (Vinaya rules)
Buddha never asked monks not to use paper or electronic media to spread Dhamma.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

...neither the accounts, nor the service itself
have been offered to the Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis.
Is not 'Sign Up' an offer?... :coffee:
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

If you mean that these companies offer the free social networking service in exchange for advertising that is displayed on the side and most users will be influenced in their purchases by it, then yes: bhikkhus who don't use money to purchase things themselves will not do their part of the deal (and I have AdBlock installed anyway).
:shrug:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
mirco

Post by mirco »

gavesako wrote:If you mean that these companies offer the free social networking service in exchange for advertising that is displayed on the side and most users will be influenced in their purchases by it, then yes: bhikkhus who don't use money to purchase things themselves will not do their part of the deal
Venerable Sir,

just because it is offered free to everyone, it is not offered to you as a monk in particular. And that this is not according to the vinaya, isn't it?.

I mean, can you just walk around in the woods, pick up fruits and take them with you as you like?
(supposing that the woods have no owner)

:?:

_()_
Last edited by mirco on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Are monks allowed to drink water from a river or public fountain?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

mirco wrote: I mean, can you just walk around in the woods, pick up fruits and take them with you as you like?
I believe so. I remember there is a Vinaya passage where it mentions there is no offense for "stealing" carrion from a carnivorous animal. That is not offered either. So it would seem that taking food or anything else where there is no theft, is not an offense.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

mirco wrote:just because it is offered free to everyone, it is not offered to you as a monk in particularly. And that this is not according to the vinaya, isn't it?.
Looking at the Vinaya the only relevant rule I found is this http://en.dhammadana.org/sangha/vinaya/ ... m#ch-----2 and it's about not taking away others possessions (which doesn't apply) and they must be of a minumum value (which doesn't apply).

Rules around offerings are specific to food and robes etc.

So I assume you are referring to the 5 precepts which say we should not take that which is not given, as this also applies to laypeople by your interptratation all of us have broken it by signing up to Dhammawheel.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

My observations are that monks follow the Vinaya to different degrees of strictness based on context such as interpretation of the Vinaya and teacher(s).

I'm quite sure that one could interpret the Vinaya as allowing the use of social networking.

It seems to me that you have a bone to pick with the ordained based on your previous posts. Why is this so?

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
mirco

Post by mirco »

binocular wrote:Are monks allowed to drink water from a river or public fountain?
I don't know.

_()_
mirco

Post by mirco »

David N. Snyder wrote:
mirco wrote:I mean, can you just walk around in the woods, pick up fruits and take them with you as you like?
I believe so. I remember there is a Vinaya passage where it mentions there is no offense for "stealing" carrion from a carnivorous animal. That is not offered either. So it would seem that taking food or anything else where there is no theft, is not an offense.
Goofaholix wrote:
mirco wrote:just because it is offered free to everyone, it is not offered to you as a monk in particularly. And that this is not according to the vinaya, isn't it?.
Looking at the Vinaya the only relevant rule I found is this http://en.dhammadana.org/sangha/vinaya/ ... m#ch-----2 and it's about not taking away others possessions (which doesn't apply) and they must be of a minumum value (which doesn't apply).

Rules around offerings are specific to food and robes etc.

So I assume you are referring to the 5 precepts which say we should not take that which is not given, as this also applies to laypeople by your interptratation all of us have broken it by signing up to Dhammawheel.
Thanks to the both of you. You inspired me to have a closer look into the Vinaya myself.

_()_
mirco

Post by mirco »

Mkoll wrote:My observations are that monks follow the Vinaya to different degrees of strictness based on context such as interpretation of the Vinaya and teacher(s). I'm quite sure that one could interpret the Vinaya as allowing the use of social networking.

It seems to me that you have a bone to pick with the ordained based on your previous posts. Why is this so?
No, I don't.

But there is a transference of another actual conflict into this field.
Like, I'm unsatisfied with something else and now I want to proof someone else's wrong and be the one, who is right :-).

Thanks for that question, that's a relief.

But I am still interested in the facts, thus I have to study the Vinaya myself.

_()_
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

mirco wrote:
Mkoll wrote:My observations are that monks follow the Vinaya to different degrees of strictness based on context such as interpretation of the Vinaya and teacher(s). I'm quite sure that one could interpret the Vinaya as allowing the use of social networking.

No, I don't.

But there is a transference of another actual conflict into this field.
Like, I'm unsatisfied with something else and now I want to proof someone else's wrong and be the one, who is right :-).

Thanks for that question, that's a relief.
I have no idea what that was supposed to mean. Can you please tell me what you want to say clearly and directly, without ambiguity?
mirco

Post by mirco »

:off topic:
_()_
Dear Mkoll,
Mkoll wrote:I have no idea what that was supposed to mean. Can you please tell me what you want to say clearly and directly, without ambiguity?

To me there was no ambiguity. Here we go: I am unsatisfied with a certain situation, which has got nothing to do with anything here. I don't like the satisfactoriness (negative attachment). Unconsciously I was looking for relief of this negative emotions. I made up this thread, [exaggerated ironical illustration on] to show the world of mislead monks, how wrong they are so I can be the hero of truth [exaggerated ironical illustration off]. Because then I would have felt better, because I would have been the one, who knows it right. But because of your clever [no irony] question, I recognized, what was going on inside myself. And instead of further acting out the bad feeling I simply let go of it. Then I relaxed and returned to this thread with keen interest and friendly intention. _()_
Last edited by mirco on Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

:heart:

:anjali: