How are others "reflections" of ourselves?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
EmptyCittas1by1

How are others "reflections" of ourselves?

Post by EmptyCittas1by1 »

Hello, Dhamma Wheel

I've noticed on different spiritual forums that lots of people hold this view that everybody is a reflection of "us".

Here's what I think it means:

— What confuses me is that this seems to imply that our perceptions are false or misleading; the person we see is not arrogant or hateful, we are.

— When we see arrogance or hate in others, it's because we know by our own experiences that that's what those things are. For example, I know the grinch is hateful because I've been hateful in that same way.

Are these the proper understanding of this? If not, what is? How does this work? How can I contemplate this? I understand that the Dhamma teaches anatta, but this is probably something that can be valuable. If not, please elaborate.

Thank you.
"Eat little! Sleep little! Speak little! Whatever it may be of worldly habit, lessen them, go against their power. Don't just do as you like, don't indulge in your thought. Stop this slavish following. You must constantly go against the stream of ignorance. This is called "Discipline." When you discipline your heart, it becomes very dissatisfied and begins to struggle. It becomes restricted and oppressed. When the heart is prevented from doing what it wants to do, it starts wandering and struggling. Suffering becomes apparent to us."

— Ajahn Chah
barcsimalsi

Re: How are others "reflections" of ourselves?

Post by barcsimalsi »

I think it has more to do with reminding ourselves about reality.
For instance, when seeing death, aging, sickness and misery of others, one can reflect ME too is subject to all this.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

EmptyCittas1by1 wrote:I've noticed on different spiritual forums that lots of people hold this view that everybody is a reflection of "us".
I can't say I've come across this view.

Probably more correctly our perception of others (or anything we experience really) is filtered / coloured /distorted by our interpretations or views.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

EmptyCittas1by1 wrote:Hello, Dhamma Wheel

I've noticed on different spiritual forums that lots of people hold this view that everybody is a reflection of "us".

Here's what I think it means:

— What confuses me is that this seems to imply that our perceptions are false or misleading; the person we see is not arrogant or hateful, we are.

— When we see arrogance or hate in others, it's because we know by our own experiences that that's what those things are. For example, I know the grinch is hateful because I've been hateful in that same way.

Are these the proper understanding of this? If not, what is? How does this work? How can I contemplate this? I understand that the Dhamma teaches anatta, but this is probably something that can be valuable. If not, please elaborate.

Thank you.
Hi EmptyCittas1by1,

I don't think there's a proper understanding of such a vague statement beyond what barcsimalsi mentioned.

In terms of contemplation, IMHO just stick with the Dhamma. There is no need to add anything further.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

EmptyCittas1by1 wrote: — What confuses me is that this seems to imply that our perceptions are false or misleading; the person we see is not arrogant or hateful, we are.
I think sometimes its a lot easier to look outwards and judge others without understanding that one could improve ones own attitude in terms of understanding the causes and conditions which have influenced them.

These verses of the Dhammapada might be of interest :
158. One should first establish oneself in what is proper; then only should one instruct others. Thus the wise man will not be reproached.

159. One should do what one teaches others to do; if one would train others, one should be well controlled oneself. Difficult, indeed, is self-control.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html

:anjali:
no mike

Post by no mike »

Your question makes me think of the Satipatthana Sutta; contemplate internally, externally, or both.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

To me it sounds like projection - seeing in others qualities that are not actually there, which says more about us than them. I guess we do this quite a lot, don't we?

Saying that what we see is always about us, is taking it too far, IMO.
_/|\_
binocular

Post by binocular »

EmptyCittas1by1 wrote:I've noticed on different spiritual forums that lots of people hold this view that everybody is a reflection of "us".
Yes, I've seen this too.

An example from Cheri Huber's "Be the person you want to find" -
Projection

(not from a camera, from our head)

Everything is a mirror of ourselves. We always see ourselves when we look out at the world and other people. It is not possible to experience and label anything that is not part of ourselves.
Is this always true? Always.

When we are unaware of this process, we believe we are correct in our assessments. We believe there is an objective reality "out there" from which we are separate and about which we can know something.

In projection, this is what we tend to do:

We project the worst and best of ourselves.

1) I project the worst of myself onto people I dislike, don't respect, and can't get along with. -- "She is narrow, closed, humorless, and irritating."

2) I project the best of myself onto people I admire, love,, and want to be around. -- "He is open, generous, kind, and compassionate."

What I do not accept in myself,
I do not accept in another.

What I accept in myself,
I accept in others.

/.../

pg. 22-23
(there's more, but I didn't quote everything)
You could read this and other books by Cheri Huber, she talks about this a lot.

On the other hand, you could also read up on assertiveness (I can recommend some books).

If, for example, the difference between saying,
"This is a bad film"
and saying
"I didn't like this film"
strikes you as relevant, then reading up on assertiveness may be useful in providing further insight.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

EmptyCittas1by1 wrote:Hello, Dhamma Wheel

I think that sometimes we're projecting these qualities onto other people, but sometimes that's really the way they are. But as no mike said, mindfulness is the path to seeing these things more clearly
Buddha save me from new-agers!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Spiny Norman wrote:but sometimes that's really the way they are
For how long?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
EmptyCittas1by1

Post by EmptyCittas1by1 »

Thanks all for your input :D
"Eat little! Sleep little! Speak little! Whatever it may be of worldly habit, lessen them, go against their power. Don't just do as you like, don't indulge in your thought. Stop this slavish following. You must constantly go against the stream of ignorance. This is called "Discipline." When you discipline your heart, it becomes very dissatisfied and begins to struggle. It becomes restricted and oppressed. When the heart is prevented from doing what it wants to do, it starts wandering and struggling. Suffering becomes apparent to us."

— Ajahn Chah
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

binocular wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:but sometimes that's really the way they are
For how long?
Character traits tend to persist over time - it doesn't mean they're permanent though.
Buddha save me from new-agers!