LGBT in Lama/monk

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
tibetanholyghost

LGBT in Lama/monk

Post by tibetanholyghost »

Hello all,

I have joined the forum because I have some very specific questions about the monastic life in Asia monastic orders. As a Buddhist myself and world traveller, I was very inspired after visiting China this past year. It confirmed my buddhist philosophy and quite honestly, I do believe that I have a calling to fulfill this life as a lama. However, I would like to know, is it a problem if I identify as a bisexual man? I have no homosexual mannerisms, however, I have a very liberal view on love and believe it transcends gender. Of course as a monk or lama, this wouldn't even matter as one must never even engage in sexuality. My question is, because I know many of these Asian countries are conservative, and even communist, in which country would I be most safe? As a western monk, I am sure that it is already dangerous. Nobody would necessarily know I was even bisexual, but I refuse to speak false words, and if one were to ever ask me about love and attraction, I would speak freely.

All comments are welcomed and VERY much appreciated...
J
Goofaholix

Re: LGBT in Lama/monk

Post by Goofaholix »

As you appear to be interested in ordination in Mahayana Buddhism you'd be better to ask your question here http://www.dharmawheel.net/

Of course if one is a celibate monastic then sexual orientation isn't very relevant.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

As a western monk, I am sure that it is already dangerous.
Not so!...
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

appicchato wrote:
As a western monk, I am sure that it is already dangerous.
Not so!...
I would agree, Bhante. I imagine that we're much more tolerant about these things in most the West when compared to most of the East. For example, how many Eastern countries recognize same-sex marriage? Going by the map on this Wikipedia page, it looks like you can count them on one hand.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

tibetanholyghost wrote: , I do believe that I have a calling to fulfill this life as a lama. However, I would like to know, is it a problem if I identify as a bisexual man? I have no homosexual mannerisms, however, I have a very liberal view on love and believe it transcends gender. Of course as a monk or lama, this wouldn't even matter as one must never even engage in sexuality.
Not all Tibetan Buddhist lamas are celibate monks. To get the title "lama" however, westerners usually need to have done a minimum of 3 years in a closed retreat and there are places in the west where this can be done. (Although I think there might be one or two westerners who call themselves 'lama" without having had this previous training.)

As Goofaholix already said, it would be better to ask your questions at Dharma Wheel Mahayana/Vajrayana website.

:anjali: