Why did Buddha say that he was not a human being?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
chownah
Posts: 6305
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Why did Buddha say that he was not a human being?

Post by chownah » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:02 pm

I said that no one knows the contents of the buddha's DNA. This is a pretty simple statement. If you do not understand this then I suggest you go do some reading about how DNA and the genetic machinery work before attempting to discuss this....
chownah

User avatar
clw_uk
Posts: 4718
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am

Re: Why did Buddha say that he was not a human being?

Post by clw_uk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Because to be human is to identify with that which does (the 5 aggregates)


Since he no longer identified with them, he was no longer "human"

The body, thoughts and feelings etc were there but they were empty of "I"
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

binocular
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Why did Buddha say that he was not a human being?

Post by binocular » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:07 am

chownah wrote:I said that no one knows the contents of the buddha's DNA. This is a pretty simple statement. If you do not understand this then I suggest you go do some reading about how DNA and the genetic machinery work before attempting to discuss this....
If your line of reasoning is that it is DNA that defines a being, then that's just nihilistic reasoning that reduces a being to mere aggregates.

chownah
Posts: 6305
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Why did Buddha say that he was not a human being?

Post by chownah » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 pm

binocular wrote:
chownah wrote:I said that no one knows the contents of the buddha's DNA. This is a pretty simple statement. If you do not understand this then I suggest you go do some reading about how DNA and the genetic machinery work before attempting to discuss this....
If your line of reasoning is that it is DNA that defines a being, then that's just nihilistic reasoning that reduces a being to mere aggregates.
That is not my line of reasoning but even if it was I don't see how it is necessarily nihilistic.
Also, didn't the Buddha in a certain sense reduce all beings to aggregates?........namely the concept of self reduced to the clinging aggregates?
chownah

binocular
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Why did Buddha say that he was not a human being?

Post by binocular » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:12 pm

There is already at least one no-self / not-self thread that discusses just this.

SarathW
Posts: 8068
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Why did Buddha say that he was not a human being?

Post by SarathW » Fri May 23, 2014 12:16 am

Another good thread relevant to this OP:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20745
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Ananda26
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: Why did Buddha say that he was not a human being?

Post by Ananda26 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:13 pm

SarathW wrote:Above question raised as a result of a previous posting

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 56#p272914
Based on that can I say:

A) Though you have a human body, you could be an Arahant, Deva or even an animal.
B) Can a animal with its animal body could be an Arahant, human or Deva? If not why?
C) Does that mean Arahant also some thing like Deva or human?


When answering above please also consider the fact that a person is questioned to verify that he/she is a human when s/he is ordained as a monk.
:juggling:
There is an error in this particular translation that was cited here. The question Buddha was specifically asked about was will he be such and such beings in the future. Currently he was a human being, but since he was free from rebirth he would not become any such beings after death.

Humans can attain Arahantship. There is a Brahma named Tudu who attained Never Returner. In the realm of the Never Returners beings eventually attain Nibbana.

Animals are not a fortunate rebirth. They are impaired from attaining Arahantship.

An Arahant is a person who has attained Nibbana.

SarathW
Posts: 8068
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Why did Buddha say that he was not a human being?

Post by SarathW » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:18 am

Another related topic:
Was Buddha a human being or something more?

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20745
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Ananda26
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: Why did Buddha say that he was not a human being?

Post by Ananda26 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:48 pm

SarathW wrote:Another related topic:
Was Buddha a human being or something more?

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20745
Buddha was a human being, and a very special human being. He was a Samma Sambuddha.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], jagodage and 87 guests