Is snuff an intoxicant?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
villkorkarma

Is snuff an intoxicant?

Post by villkorkarma »

one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
cooran

Re: Is snuff an intoxicant?

Post by cooran »

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Dear villkorkarma,

It's a psychoactive drug. It gets you "high". And it's mercilessly addictive. I would say that classifies it as an intoxicant.

If you're trying to quit, there are many programs, advice, and products out there. I have no experience with nicotine addiction but I'm sure some folks on this forum can help point you in the right direction.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

Its not dangerous
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

villkorkarma wrote:Its not dangerous
It causes mouth cancer. Google the pictures.
Dangerous.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

villkorkarma wrote:Its not dangerous
Dear villkorkarma,

It's less dangerous than smoking cigarettes for the body.

Regardless, it is dangerous for your brain and mind. Psychoactive drugs change the neurotransmitter system in your brain. Nicotine is one of the most addictive psychoactive drugs.

Be well.

shaunc

Post by shaunc »

I'm not condoning the use of tobacco in any way, but the use of tobacco in any form does not break the 5th precept. In Thailand many monks use cigarettes & I'm sure that oral tobacco is also used by monks in some countries. There are health risks associated with any tobacco use but assuming you're an adult I'm sure you're aware of them & able to make informed decisions.
ES06

Post by ES06 »

shaunc wrote:I'm not condoning the use of tobacco in any way, but the use of tobacco in any form does not break the 5th precept. In Thailand many monks use cigarettes & I'm sure that oral tobacco is also used by monks in some countries. There are health risks associated with any tobacco use but assuming you're an adult I'm sure you're aware of them & able to make informed decisions.
If they are harmful to health, they breaks the first precept. If we don't harm living being and oneself is also a living being.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

ES06 wrote:
shaunc wrote:I'm not condoning the use of tobacco in any way, but the use of tobacco in any form does not break the 5th precept. In Thailand many monks use cigarettes & I'm sure that oral tobacco is also used by monks in some countries. There are health risks associated with any tobacco use but assuming you're an adult I'm sure you're aware of them & able to make informed decisions.
If they are harmful to health, they breaks the first precept. If we don't harm living being and oneself is also a living being.
I thought he was asking whether snuff was an intoxicant, which would relate to the 5th precept.
Plenty of Thai monks I've met smoke cigarettes, surely you wouldn't say they're breaking the 1st precept.
ES06

Post by ES06 »

I think they kind of break it. Surely, intoxicants may not break the precept in literal sense, but I still think that spirit of the precept covers also oneself. Of course, not harming other living beings is more important point of the precept, still... But this all is just my view.

And yeah, I guess I didn't read the post carefully enough, we were talking here about the 5th precept.
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

i thinmk snuff is a kind of drug
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Dear villkorkarma,

If I may be frank and direct, it seems you are obsessed with snuff, viz you are addicted to it. I say this because you've posted about it in other threads as well as this one. I'm not trying to be mean here but I only point this out in case no one's ever told you before.

Snuff is a kind of drug that can be abused and thus become an object of addiction. My advice: try to quit.

cooran

Post by cooran »

This is long, but worth considering:

Dissertation on Buddhism: Avoiding pamada: An analysis of the Fifth Precept as Social Protection in Contemporary Contexts with reference to early Buddhist Teachings by Paul Trafford
http://www.chezpaul.org.uk/buddhism/MSt ... tation.htm

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Floor

Post by Floor »

If you are wondering if using snuff is breaking the 5 precept for Lay practitioners, the answer is yes. Snuff is an intoxicant.

Is it a large bad karma? No. But I would make an effort to ween yourself off o it.
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

From my experience its have been helpfull for me. :woohoo:
Kind of karma? Can you tell me more about that. It would be fantastic :):)

Mkoll Alright :) thank you, but I dont still not understand why I should quit. Can I do something horrible because I use snuff?! :!: :thinking: :heart: