Meditating with the Flu

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
PeterB

Re: Meditating with the Flu

Post by PeterB »

Try to get the jab if you can. My wife works in the Acute sector and she says that they are gearing up for swine flu to come roaring back in early winter. The jab should be available in the uk within a few weeks..
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Good advice, will do as soon as possible. It's definitely the second round that's got me nervous especially for those of us with kids. Keep us posted on the UK situation and I'll do the same here in NYC. Be well.

Mike
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

And you :anjali: , so far there is no reason to suppose it will turn really nasty, but I wont be take any chances, as soon as the jab is available I intend availing myself of it, and I would advise all of you who have not had swine flu to do the same.
cooran

Post by cooran »

PeterB said: so far there is no reason to suppose it will turn really nasty
Hello PeterB,

I went to a forum a couple of weeks ago for Health staff at the hospital. The Director of Infectious Diseases gave a long, full of medical jargon, presentation about the Swine flu (H1N1 please) and about several pandemics since the renowned pandemic in 1918. There has been only one really truly serious one since then, with over a million dead (in the sixties if I recall correctly), but there were several other pandemics without high death rates. What they found is there is always a "second spike" often when it comes back in the summer. I think this is the fear behind the swine flu - it is changing all the time. Additionally, they are fearing, sooner or later, this year, this decade or sometime in the future, that there will be a repeat of 1918.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Yes Chris, thats the fear. My wife had about 10 meetings at the end of the working day over a two week period where they put into place their " worst case scenario " response to the second wave. As I say, if and when anyone gets the chance for the jab, think its well worth availing oneself of it.