Who can reject a person from Buddhism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
robertk

Re: Who can reject a person from Buddhism?

Post by robertk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:51 pm

King Bhimbisara was a great supporter of the Dhamma, and was also a sotapanna. He was murdered by his son Ajatasattu.
Yet the Buddha bore no grudge and taught the new king Dhamma. Now Ajatasattu is honored by all Buddhists for his sterling work in support of the first council.

Devadata tried to murder the Buddha and did all sorts of evil, yet he will become a paccekabuddha in the distant future: certainly not rejected from Buddhism..

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Who can reject a person from Buddhism?

Post by DNS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:40 pm

binocular wrote: A person who is in position of authority within a Buddhist organisation can declare something to be wrong, to be in discord with the Buddhadhamma, or can declare something to be right, to be in accord with the Buddhadhamma, and this person can do so even without providing any reference to to the Pali Canon or any other source.
And their claim stands - simply because it was made by a person who is in position of authority within a Buddhist organisation.
Their claim stands, but you don't have to accept it.

As for monks and nuns, they can still be disrobed as far as I know. The parajika offenses, for example will get a monastic disrobed. There was an American-born Vajrayana lama who openly had a mistress and I believe the Dalai Lama disavowed him and does not consider him to be a lama anymore. However, as far as I know this "lama" still has a center and some supporters. But those who know the Dhamma/Dharma can still refuse to accept him or his teachings.