Bhikkhu Ñanananda

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
khemacitto

Bhikkhu Ñanananda

Post by khemacitto »

Dear distinguished dhammawheelies,

I wanted to inquire if anyone knew if Bhikkhu Ñanananda was currently accepting students and visitors to discuss the dhamma and, related to this, what the current state of his health is. My interest is in taking dependence and training under him. I have read very conflicting reports about his character - some calling him serene and an embodiment of the Dhamma-Vinaya, while others seem to think he's a narcissistic intellectual with a host of superstitious beliefs and other neuroses to boot.

I read another thread on here, which I cannot find, giving information which is currently three years old, which gave conflicting reports of his status and health. Also, if anybody here has, or known someone who has, recently come into contact with this true Thera, if they could share their experiences. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

With many thanks,
Khemacitto Bhikku
melancholy

Re: Bhikkhu Ñanananda

Post by melancholy »

khemacitto wrote:Dear distinguished dhammawheelies,

I wanted to inquire if anyone knew if Bhikkhu Ñanananda was currently accepting students and visitors to discuss the dhamma and, related to this, what the current state of his health is. My interest is in taking dependence and training under him. I have read very conflicting reports about his character - some calling him serene and an embodiment of the Dhamma-Vinaya, while others seem to think he's a narcissistic intellectual with a host of superstitious beliefs and other neuroses to boot.

I read another thread on here, which I cannot find, giving information which is currently three years old, which gave conflicting reports of his status and health. Also, if anybody here has, or known someone who has, recently come into contact with this true Thera, if they could share their experiences. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

With many thanks,
Khemacitto Bhikku
venerable sir,

my last information was he stopped accepting students. i will confirm it to you within couple of days. definitely he accept visitors if they want to discuss the dhamma especially if you have questions where he can go into lengthy elaborations. his health is very bad and he is getting very week.

it is normal to have conflicting reports about the character of any teacher. some people like him and some do not. from my experience and from the majority of what i heard (mostly from those who knew him closely), it will be a lie if i say he is serene and an embodiment of the dhamma-vinaya like some truly realized person (said this becasue sometimes his logic does not work and say incorrect things). it is true he is a narcissistic intellectual with a host of superstitious beliefs and other neuroses to boot. and there are some very embarrassing incidents there to prove it which i am not going to post here as there is a possibility that will make this post to be deleted.

if you like long hours of vitakka in intellectual stuff then he is the person. and very useful to give you new/controversial interpretations (controversial according to most of the traditional mahatheras).

i guess if you know lord buddha's words well and how to apply mahapadesas, then no harm discussing dhamma with him.

hope this helped.

:anjali:

EDIT: it's confirmed he stopped ordaining new students but he will welcome monks if they want to discuss the dhamma and ask questions from him.
khemacitto

Re: Bhikkhu Ñanananda

Post by khemacitto »

Thank you very much for the information, it was precisely what I was looking for.

Very best wishes to you in your practice,
Bhikkhu Khemacitto