can i become a bhikkhuni if i'm bisexual?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
lyndon taylor

Re: can i become a bhikkhuni if i'm bisexual?

Post by lyndon taylor »

And you believed them????
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

lyndon taylor wrote:And you believed them????

The women I am referring to I have known for 12 years. I know them pretty well, so yeah I believe them.

Also it's a bit offensive so say everyone is bisexual when people say they aren't. It's a bit like telling a gay man he's really straight or bi.

To turn it around, I'm completely homosexual so not every man is bisexual ...
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Sexuality is a sliding scale not a handful of fixed categories, so even women or men who are heterosexual may have a slight attraction to the occasional member of the same sex. But it's going a bit far to say "all women are bisexual more or less" - bisexual implies (to me anyway) an actual interest in acting on it/reasonably frequent attraction to both sexes, even if one is favoured.
Still Searching

Post by Still Searching »

Greetings Lotus Flower,

Your question is very interesting.

I too wish to be ordained and I used to want to be transgender.
I have a Gender Identity Disorder but most monasteries can't accept transexuals as it'll be difficult to keep up with the medication schedule.

So yeah, I can relate to you but please be aware, ordaining is a serious thing, you must be willing to give up all those fancy items at home and help the community by committment & discipline.

Sexuality is okay, attraction or compassion is okay but romantic relationships are forbidden. Not to stop your happiness, it just shows your dedication.

I'm female but wished to be male, I have a strong attachment to love and emotion but I'm giving it up but I'm not a nun yet, I still have a lot yet to learn and so far, I'm slowly doing well. I let go of my feelings for a woman, that is very difficult yet a tiny small step forward to de-attachment and proud of myself.

Just remember, Buddhism isn't an accessory nor a fashion statement.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha
melancholy

Post by melancholy »

i am a male and straight. if i start living in a nunnery among nuns especially as a monk how it would be? same theory can be said about lesbian nuns. once ajahn brahm advised to a gay who wished to ordain not to do so if he seriously can’t commit to restrain him self because he will be living with the objects of his attraction. i know many gay monks who soiled not only themselves but also others. but i also know one monk who was gay but managed to overcome his lust after years of struggle. now he is a very good meditator. so are you the rare one or the common many? if you are the rare one dhamma will surely benefit you. :)