Visiting Bangkok, Ordaining, Delving in the Dhamma - Advice?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Chi

Visiting Bangkok, Ordaining, Delving in the Dhamma - Advice?

Post by Chi »

Hello Dhamma siblings!

I am taking my next steps on an indefinite adventure to be fully enlightened.

Plan:
1. Arrive in Bangkok on 11/27 very early in the morning;
2. Get my meditation visa in BKK (hopefully, they will grant me same-day or next-day visa);
3. Stay at Suan Mokkh (http://www.suanmokkh-idh.org/) or one of these centers: http://www.vimokkha.com/medcenters.htm, depending on whatever happens.
4. Arrive in Yangon on 12/13.
5. Ordain temporarily and practice intensively indefinitely at Panditarama Forest Monastery (until the mind goes crazy and then some more).
6. Who knows?

Does anybody have any experience at any of the above centers in Thailand? Are there other places open to foreign yogis' dropping in somewhat near BKK?

Could I have advice on an affordable places to stay somewhat close to the Burmese Embassy is Bangkok while I finalize my visa? Any other random pieces of advice while staying in BKK?

Any life advice in general? I'm realizing I understand so little about how to live as a human being and how to take care of the body. I'm 25, have been on a few longer retreats, and am feeling like a brand new baby stepping into the completely unknown now. For the last 3.5 years, I've been on quite the up-and-down journey of clearing most attachment to worldly responsibilities as possible. My sister has power of attorney so she can sell the car, which is in my name, and finalize tax returns for this year.

This is the first time in my life, I feel like I can focus on intensive practice and have nothing completely necessary to do for the next year or so. There are feelings of excitement, fear, resistance, hope all bubbling up, sometimes at the same time. The "self" knows it is about to see and feel and experience a mixture of deeply suppressed rage, transformation, joy, peace, discontent, existential crises, love, fear, etc. Just some random observations I haven't spoke to many (any?) people about or put into writing.

Thank you everybody for everything.
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
James the Giant

Re: Visiting Bangkok, Ordaining, Delving in the Dhamma - Adv

Post by James the Giant »

Don't push yourself too hard, you'll burn out. This is not a short distance sprint, it's a marathon, or like hiking the Appalacian Trail. The fastest way is a nice slow walk.
That's my advice.
Best of luck!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Chi

Post by Chi »

Thanks for the advice, James. I need to hear it over and over and over again.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

You should stop by Wat Bowon in Bangkok and meet Ajahn Kantisilo, who is an American, English-speaking monk there for a few vassa (not sure exactly how many). He is in the building (kuti) near the turtles (the turtle spot is well known there, so you can ask someone where the turtles are if they do not know Ajahn Kantisilo). It's a large place, so it is hard to describe exactly how to get to his kuti.

You may also wish to stop by the Dhamma Study and Support Foundation on soi 78 Charoen Nakhorn Road, Saturdays at 2 pm (discussions form 2-4 pm Saturdays) (go around the side of the building towards the back (behind the main Dhamma hall), and ask for the English speaking group or look for the room with the sliding glass door (tinted).

What time of day are you going to arrive in Bkk? (I assuming this is your first trip there?).

All the best,

Kevin
Chi

Post by Chi »

Hey Kevin,

Thank you for your advice. It seems Wat Bowon is very popular....

I am arriving at 2:30 AM, actually.

I've been to Bangkok once for about 3-4 days, right before my trip to Burma two years ago.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Oh excellent, Chi.

Don't worry. I am sure everything will be fine. Good luck on your journey.

I am not sure where the Burmese embassy is in Bangkok, so I can't recommend a place to stay. Do you know the address of it?

Kevin
Chi

Post by Chi »

Hey Kevin,

Thank you for the well wishes.

I've been to the Burmese Embassy before, and am staying at the Nantra Silom Hotel nearby. It was close and cheap :)

metta,
Chi