Discovering Theravada ...

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
pererin

Discovering Theravada ...

Post by pererin »

... no, but really.

I'm getting bogged down here. Can anyone recommend a good, systematic and reasonably comprehensive introduction (or introductions) to Theravada Buddhism which you would put in the hands of a beginner?

:reading:

With thanks,

Pererin
stuka

Re: Discovering Theravada ...

Post by stuka »

pererin wrote:... no, but really.

I'm getting bogged down here. Can anyone recommend a good, systematic and reasonably comprehensive introduction (or introductions) to Theravada Buddhism which you would put in the hands of a beginner?

With thanks,

Pererin

Buddhadhamma: Natural Laws and Values for Life by Phra Prayudh Payutto.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buddhadhamma-by-Phr ... 18Q2el1247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ebay Item # 260335181036

Some excerpts here: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy ... ayutto.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Element

Post by Element »

Buddhadhamma for Students by Bhikkhu Buddhadasa :reading:
Last edited by Element on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

pererin wrote:... no, but really.

With thanks,

Pererin

http://www.wisdom-books.com/SiteSearchR ... Submit=+Go+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or a very similar book
http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=16955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have both and the second link I know the author and he has an easy to read and listen to style
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

What is Theravada Buddhism?
by John Bullitt

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... avada.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Pererin,

See also the pinned thread on:

Introductory Resources
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feel free to post your comments and questions here or in a new thread.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
pererin

Post by pererin »

Thank you to each of you who went to the time and trouble of suggesting study material; I am trying to acquire copies, but my usual outlets don't seem to have all the titles you mentioned. I'll keep looking.

:namaste:

Mark
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Element wrote:Buddhadhamma for Students by Bhikkhu Buddhadasa
I would not say a man who says "all Theravada teachers have gotten it wrong for the past 1000 years" provides a good introduction to Theravada Buddhism. He may offer an introduction to how he personally understands the Dhamma, but that's a different thing than saying he introduces Theravada.

I would recommend "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
pererin

Post by pererin »

Following your good advice I started to put an order together on a certain well-known online book company. Instantly divining my intent, its computer helpfully offered me the following top titles to match my enquiries:

(1) Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana

(2) In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon by Bhikkhu Bodhi

(3) What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula

(4) The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh

(5) Mamma Mia! with Meryl Streep

:jawdrop:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Any of the top 3 would be good.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Element

Post by Element »

Peter wrote:
Element wrote:Buddhadhamma for Students by Bhikkhu Buddhadasa
I would not say a man who says "all Theravada teachers have gotten it wrong for the past 1000 years" provides a good introduction to Theravada Buddhism. He may offer an introduction to how he personally understands the Dhamma, but that's a different thing than saying he introduces Theravada.

I would recommend "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi.
Since we are trading opinions, I would avoid "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi. Whilst it is full of wonderful suttas, it has been weighted, giving wrong and over-emphasis towards certain teachings.

When we read the suttas, it is best to read them as a whole. For example, the beginning with the most authentic collections, which would start with the Majjhima, Samyutta & Anguttara Nikayas, avoiding the Digha Nikaya.

When we read for example, the Majjhima Nikaya, we learn about what the Buddha emphasised in his teaching.

Regarding the book, Buddhadhamma for Students by Bhikkhu Buddhadasa, it is very clear. Whenever I have used it to clarify difficult topics on internet chat sites, the readers have always praised it. However, this book is for sincere practitioners.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Element,
Element wrote: Since we are trading opinions, I would avoid "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi. Whilst it is full of wonderful suttas, it has been weighted, giving wrong and over-emphasis towards certain teachings.
I haven't noticed this "weighting". I've read "In the Buddhas Words, studied most of the Majjhima Nikaya (not just the Suttas that Bhikkhu Bodhi has recorded talks on), and dipped into the other Nikayas. What exactly do you think is over-emphasised?

The useful thing about reading "In the Buddhas Words" is that it introduces you coherently to a variety of types of Suttas. My experience is that most Suttas that I read now I can see which chapter of ITBWs they could be classified in (suttas about everyday life, kamma and rebirth, meditation, dependent origination, etc).

It may be redundant if you already know your way around the Suttas.

What I certainly wouldn't recommend for a beginner is starting with Sutta 1 of the Majjhima Nikaya...

Metta
Mike
Element

Post by Element »

For me, the term "beginner" is vague, subjective but most of all, extremely dangerous.

If one studies certain Buddhist subjects & considers them essential then one will always remain a "beginner" because one will have never actually started.

It does not matter how many years that one has been a Buddhist. One will never start if one has wrong grasp of the teachings.

Buddha said in AN X.61 that the cause of ignorance is associating with unenlightened beings and listening to the wrong teachings.

Buddha has advised in teachings such as the Ani Sutta (on the internet) that his suttas connected with emptiness should be studied.

Of course, each of us can only recommend according to our experience. When I first learned Dhamma, as a beginner, I was taught about the sense bases and about how feeling, cravings (greed, hatred & delusion), attachment, self-view & suffering arose from sense contact and of course, how these things that generate suffering can be controlled and ended.

Thus when Bhikkhu Buddhadasa titles a book: "Buddhadhamma for Students", it is intended for beginners who aim to end suffering.

But if the ending suffering is not one's primary goal then I suppose some can certainly recommend other aspects of dhamma.

With metta,

Element :reading:
pererin

Post by pererin »

As the OP of this thread I would like to renew my thanks to all those who have suggested material for me to study; I will most certainly follow these through as diligently as I may. I note that the work of Buddhadasa has led to a number of exchanges between contributors. May I respectfully ask that my specific thread not become a forum for debating his work, as doing so might thereby prevent others from contributing their own further suggestions, any of which I would be more than happy to receive.

I also note that Element considers the term 'beginner' (which I used of myself in my initial posting) to be "vague, subjective but most of all, extremely dangerous". I regret any unskilful use of language on my part, but I knew of no other word I should use in its place.

Metta,

Mark
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Pererin
here is a pdf of mindfulness in plain english may be cheeper to just print or go to a self publish site (Lulu.com)than to order it?
I would also add Twins with Arnold Schwarzenegger
pererin wrote:Following your good advice I started to put an order together on a certain well-known online book company. Instantly divining my intent, its computer helpfully offered me the following top titles to match my enquiries:

(1) Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana

(2) In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon by Bhikkhu Bodhi

(3) What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula

(4) The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh

(5) Mamma Mia! with Meryl Streep

:jawdrop:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill