jhana as "perception attainment"

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
fivebells

jhana as "perception attainment"

Post by fivebells »

In his recent book Discernment, Thanissaro states that the Buddha referred to the first seven jhanas as "perception attainments." I'd be grateful for a cite for this description
piotr

Re: jhana as "perception attainment"

Post by piotr »

fivebells wrote:In his recent book Discernment, Thanissaro states that the Buddha referred to the first seven jhanas as "perception attainments." I'd be grateful for a cite for this description
See DN 9.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Thanks, Piotr.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

It's also alluded to elsewhere in MN 111, and more explicitly in AN 9.36 - http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html. The term is saññāsamāpatti, which pops up in another explicit sutta listing in SN 14.11 -
The light element, the beauty element, the base of the infinity of space element, the base of the infinity of consciousness element, [151] and the base of nothingness element: these elements are to be attained as attainments with perception (saññāsamāpatti).

Interestingly, if you compare this listing of 5 elements with the more common 8 Liberations listing, eg DN 15 -
Ananda, there are these eight emancipations. Which eight?

"Possessed of form, one sees forms. This is the first emancipation.

"Not percipient of form internally, one sees forms externally. This is the second emancipation.

"One is intent only on the beautiful. This is the third emancipation.

"With the complete transcending of perceptions of [physical] form, with the disappearance of perceptions of resistance, and not heeding perceptions of diversity, [perceiving,] 'Infinite space,' one enters and remains in the dimension of the infinitude of space. This is the fourth emancipation.

"With the complete transcending of the dimension of the infinitude of space, [perceiving,] 'Infinite consciousness,' one enters and remains in the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness. This is the fifth emancipation.

"With the complete transcending of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, [perceiving,] 'There is nothing,' one enters and remains in the dimension of nothingness. This is the sixth emancipation.

"With the complete transcending of the dimension of nothingness, one enters and remains in the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. This is the seventh emancipation.

"With the complete transcending of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, one enters and remains in the cessation of perception and feeling. This is the eighth emancipation.
you will find the light element (ābhādhātu) occupying the 2 places taken by the perception of rūpa.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:goodpost:
I was rejoiced to read this OP.

Can I access the book Disernment by Ven Thanissaro in the net?
Please give the link if yes.

How do you incorporate Vitaaka, Vikara, Pithy, Sukaha,Ekagata in to Listing of five elements and Eight liberations listing?
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,
SarathW wrote:Can I access the book Disernment by Ven Thanissaro in the net?
Please give the link if yes.
You can find it here: http://dhammatalks.org/ebook_index.html
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Pitor
Great book. I just started reading it.
:reading:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”