Haters Holding US Hostage Embraced Denial, Resistance and Wi

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Re: Haters Holding US Hostage Embraced Denial, Resistance an

Post by Ben »

chownah wrote:
Ben wrote:
chownah wrote:He might consider himself to be African American but he is deluded so what does he know?
chownah
I have no idea what you mean by this statement, chownah.
I guess then that having no idea, your mind is at peace.
chownah
Thanks, chownah.
I don't subscribe to the Orwellian maxim that "ignorance is truth"/bliss.
It's just that when you say Obama is delusional, on a Buddhist board, it's a motherhood statement. It's like saying, Obama is human. It doesn't actually mean anything unless you contextualise his 'delusion'.
Please feel free to illuminate me.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

An idea that those who are critical of Obama are haters and that they are motivated by resentment because he is a "shining example of what they refuse to become—a civil, considerate, rational, and powerful (in his own self) human being." is an undemocratic idea.

Obama is the figure head for US policy and promoting US interests and values, which are out of sync with many. Criticism is justified and essential.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

An idea that those who are critical of Obama are haters and that they are motivated by resentment because he is a "shining example of what they refuse to become—a civil, considerate, rational, and powerful (in his own self) human being." is an undemocratic idea.

Obama is the figure head for US policy and promoting US interests and values, which are out of sync with many. Criticism is justified and essential.
:goodpost:

That is essentially what i wanted to say
chownah

Post by chownah »

Mr Man wrote:An idea that those who are critical of Obama are haters and that they are motivated by resentment because he is a "shining example of what they refuse to become—a civil, considerate, rational, and powerful (in his own self) human being." is an undemocratic idea.

I agree. Those who are critical of Obama and who hate him certainly are not resentful of him because they see him as "a shining example of what they refuse to become—a civil, considerate, rational, and powerful (in his own self) human being." .....on the contrary, they see him as being quite the opposite.
chownah
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

chownah wrote: .. Those who are critical of Obama and who hate him certainly are not resentful of him because
chownah
How is hate of anyone justifiable by any practitioner of Buddhadharma??
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote:
What is "out of sync" for many is that he is a black man, an in your face example of how the United States is changing, and this scares the bejesus out of a lot of people. His politics are centrist and at times a bit to the right. He has been quite willing to negotiate and to compromise, but the opposing party has not. When he has proposed or gotten behind what had been Republican policies and laws the Republican party, in turn, has shifted position and opposed what was being backed by Obama, and at times to the detriment of this country. There is a very core criticism that Obama has gotten, and continues to get, that is not justified nor essential, but grounded in fear and hatred.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote:An idea that those who are critical of Obama are haters and that they are motivated by resentment because he is a "shining example of what they refuse to become—a civil, considerate, rational, and powerful (in his own self) human being." is an undemocratic idea.
And we, in the US, have just been through a shining example of undemocratic behavior, primarily directed at Obama, that, had it been allowed to go to its desired (by the extreme wing of the Republican Party) end, would have not only severely damaged America but the whole world economy.

A caricature, to be sure, but neatly highlights the Tea Party/Republican behavior:

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
rohana

Post by rohana »

Also, Fox news is not operating in a vacuum. They didn't create some anti-Obama sentiment out of thin air. They're simply fueling an already existing paranoia. See Nixon's Southern Strategy.
"Delighting in existence, O monks, are gods and men; they are attached to existence, they revel in existence. When the Dhamma for the cessation of existence is being preached to them, their minds do not leap towards it, do not get pleased with it, do not get settled in it, do not find confidence in it. That is how, monks, some lag behind."
- It. p 43
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Malala Yousafzai asks President Barack Obama to end drone strikes in Pakistan

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... ma-2365855

The video clip is nice (it is from the Daily Show though).
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote:Malala Yousafzai asks President Barack Obama to end drone strikes in Pakistan

And that relates to what we are discussing how?

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

tiltbillings wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Malala Yousafzai asks President Barack Obama to end drone strikes in Pakistan

Read the first paragraph of the article linked to in the OP.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

Read the first paragraph of the article linked to in the OP.
The question that frames the OP: Are these accurate descriptions of this segment in american politics?

In other words what you are doing here is taking a discussion of internal US politics and trying to push it in another direction without any justification. If you want to discuss the drone business, start a new thread.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

I don't want to discuss the drone stakes but drone strikes are dictated by the politics of the US and Obama, but I think you are forcing this off topic.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote:I don't want to discuss the drone stakes but drone strikes are dictated by the politics of the US and Obama, but I think you are forcing this off topic.
You have yet to show how what you have posted relates to the OP and to what has been discussed so far.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

tiltbillings wrote:
Mr Man wrote:I don't want to discuss the drone stakes but drone strikes are dictated by the politics of the US and Obama, but I think you are forcing this off topic.
You have yet to show how what you have posted relates to the OP and to what has been discussed so far.
I have already posted why I think it relates but if you don't think it does so be it. Maybe we should move on now?