What music are you listening to right now?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
purple planet

Re: What music are you listening to right now?

Post by purple planet »

someone posted about this song on DW (thanks) i hope it wasnt on this thread but anyway :

Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

These are two instrumentals that go deep and deep , questioning life as we know it . The composers and the musicians have sheer brilliance in bringing to life , the very purpose of our living .

Once our daughter , when she was 3-4 years old , panicked suddenly when this instrumental was being played in the background , pleading to have it stopped , mentioning that it was making her feel of death and parting . We were surprised that such little years , could feel as much.

1) Love Theme - Helen St. John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd8SbRdU9Yw

The Blade Runner is also very searching , though the video can distort the listening. But the footage has a meaning , since the sound track questions the violence of life , and the endless desire of more .........

2) The Blade runner End Titles by Vangelis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3TfsSJfh84

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
Ben

Post by Ben »

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

How can anyone resist a clip that compares Leonard Cohen to the Pet Shop Boys?

First we take Manhattan...

:anjali:
Mike
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

PeDr0 wrote:
Crazy cloud wrote:
But fun stuff aside - thers lots of dhamma, all over the place, just keep your mind to dhammabusiness and enjoy life
If only you knew how rare the Buddha Dhamma was in this Samsara!

Dhamapada verse 182:

Kiccho manussapatilabho
kiccham maccana jivitam
kiccham saddhammassavanam
kiccho buddhanamuppado.

182. Hard is it to be born a man; hard is the life of mortals. Hard is it to gain the opportunity of hearing the Sublime Truth, and hard to encounter is the arising of the Buddhas.

Hello Pedro,

Yes, The Buddha , The Dhamma and The Sangha , are so rare , that at times , we may fail to comprehend the rarity.

Not everyone likes to comprehend change , even though their feelings and moods keep turning like a cart wheel . May we all becomes links in improving ourselves , and sharing Dhamma far and wide .

Bhaujan Hitaye, Bhaujan Sukhaiye.........for the good of many , for the benefit many .

i happend to read this in the Manuals of Dhamma by Venerable Ledi Sayadaw

"Lord Buddha once addressed the gatherings of monks .

O Monks , should in the great ocean, there be a wooden cart wheel floating , and also a blind tortoise swimming elsewhere in the vastness of the great ocean. Would there be a time when this tortoise could yoke itself to the cart wheel ?

Yes , O Great One , the happening of this chance , though difficult , can happen owing to the vastness of time , given that the tortoise lives to such a time , and the cart wheel does not rot away .

Even so , O Monks , is this hidden truth ; a hundred times , a thousand times more difficult than the chance yoking of the tortoise and cart wheel, which pales miserably in comparison to the rare occurrence of a man finding himself back into the human world, after having gone into the four lower worlds after his death
. "

Hence , the " stumbling" and finding the pristine teachings of the Buddha , being inspired by the exhortation , and finally realizing and living such a life , is like the making of a jewel , that has no measures .........

may we all keep motivating ourselves and so many others .

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
manas

Post by manas »

This song by Billy Joel, is on my mind these days...looking not just at the political scene in my own country, but in our dealings with others, we are so much in need of truthfulness...

To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

P.S. And of course, "First We Take Manhattan" is Leonard Cohen's finest track 8-)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

:)
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

I have certain parts from the Nutcracker running about in my mind, if that counts, but otherwise I am listening to nothing but the sound of children and domestic hygienic machines.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I never played an instrument, but I find it funny when people who play the guitar, watch this video and say things like "Alright. Time to leave the guitar and go work as a garbage man."

'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

I love Antoine, and wish he'd tour the U.K. Thanks MP.
This one's sweeter than Haribo.. a perfect partnership :smile:

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Jesus! Marie, you always have some awesome thing to put in this thread. :smile:

By the way, if you're into fingerstyle guitarists, check this one out _ that's if you don't know him yet. He's british.

I can't find a single fault in this execution. Its timing is p-e-r-f-e-c-t. If you like this, also listen to "The Impossible 2.0"

'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta