Prostrations from a Theravada POV

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Khalil Bodhi

Prostrations from a Theravada POV

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Hello All,

I'm not sure where to post this but I'm sure the mods will correct me if I'm wrong. I practice primarily in the Kammatthana Thai Forest tradition but have practiced with other schools. I have found myself drawn to the practice of 108 prostrations as is done in the Kwan Um school of Zen. I was wondering how such a practice might be viewed within the context of Theravada doctrine and praxis. Would such a practice simply be considered as a harmless but relatively ineffective one or could it be seen as having definite value in the cultivation of skillful qualities.

I thank anyone who has any advice to give. I have recently added the 108 bows to my daily schedule and find it has good psycho-physical benefits but would just like a doctrinal perspective.

Metta,

Mike :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Dan74

Re: Prostrations from a Theravada POV

Post by Dan74 »

I hope someone can offer a proper Theravada perspective, but I would just say you can treat it as honouring the Triple Gem, your potential for enlightenment, your practice, confessing your defilements and vowing to be more mindful of your habits of mind, speech and action. Or some combination of these.

Sounds like a very good practice!

_/|\_
_/|\_
Individual

Post by Individual »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Hello All,

I'm not sure where to post this but I'm sure the mods will correct me if I'm wrong. I practice primarily in the Kammatthana Thai Forest tradition but have practiced with other schools. I have found myself drawn to the practice of 108 prostrations as is done in the Kwan Um school of Zen. I was wondering how such a practice might be viewed within the context of Theravada doctrine and praxis. Would such a practice simply be considered as a harmless but relatively ineffective one or could it be seen as having definite value in the cultivation of skillful qualities.

I thank anyone who has any advice to give. I have recently added the 108 bows to my daily schedule and find it has good psycho-physical benefits but would just like a doctrinal perspective.

Metta,

I don't know if there is a specific Theravada view, since it's a foreign practice to Theravada. It could be beneficial by being a method of discipline, or it could just be a silly superstition.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

quote]
I don't know if there is a specific Theravada view, since it's a foreign practice to Theravada. It could be beneficial by being a method of discipline, or it could just be a silly superstition.[/quote]

Yeah, that's the rub...
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Hello All,

Metta,

The question is what are you doing when you are doing the prostrations?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Tilt,

I have alternated between reciting "namo tassa bhagavato...", asking forgiveness of anyone i have harmed and reciting the refuges. :anjali: I seems pretty innocuous to me but i guess I'm lookingfor some kind of scriptural or commentarial "okay" so I can be morecerain that it's not a completewast of time. Thans for the reply.

Mike
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
Individual

Post by Individual »

tiltbillings wrote: The question is what are you doing when you are doing the prostrations?
What are you doing mentally (to be more specific)

Right, Tiltbillings?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Tilt,

I have alternated between reciting "namo tassa bhagavato...", asking forgiveness of anyone i have harmed and reciting the refuges. :anjali: I seems pretty innocuous to me but i guess I'm lookingfor some kind of scriptural or commentarial "okay" so I can be morecerain that it's not a completewast of time. Thans for the reply.

Mike
You won't find any, but that does not mean it is a complete waste of time. It certainly can be a way of developing concentration and as a devotional practice. I would not worry about it. You could also use prostrations as a way of developing mindfulness; sort of a walking meditation on steroids.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Individual wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: The question is what are you doing when you are doing the prostrations?
What are you doing mentally (to be more specific)

Right, Tiltbillings?
Right, as we see above.

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Individual and Tilt,

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it and it certainly has given me a better idea of how to incorporate the bows into my practice. Metta.

Mike
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

tiltbillings wrote:
Khalil Bodhi wrote:Tilt,

Mike
You won't find any, but that does not mean it is a complete waste of time. It certainly can be a way of developing concentration and as a devotional practice. I would worry about it. You could also use prostrations as a way of developing mindfulness; sort of a walking meditation on steroids.
Did you mean to write " I would worry about it " Tilt ?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

I need to fire my proof reader.

befriend

Post by befriend »

there are prostrations in the theravadan tradition, in my experience it creates humility and happiness. look on you tube.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.