Goenka died today

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
beforewisdom

Re: Goenka died today

Post by beforewisdom »

S.N. Goenka passes away at 90
http://www.dhamma.org/en/passing.shtml
beforewisdom

Post by beforewisdom »

Like many people, he made meditation retreats accessible to me. When I got interested in Buddhist meditation I was a student. There was no way I could have afforded one of the IMS retreats. I also saw both documentaries about his program to teach vipassana meditation to people in prisons. No doubt he helped many with that program alone, to reduce the misery in their lives.
Dhamma Bandhu Nitin

Post by Dhamma Bandhu Nitin »

I have much respect for our Guruji,
We all miss our great teacher of Dhamma.
_ /!\_
Last edited by Dhamma Bandhu Nitin on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

My heart goes out to all his students.

He brought the Dhamma into the lives of many people who would otherwise have had no access to it. I am thinking especially of the prisoners (Dhamma Brothers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA8XFEyeMi8) and the untouchables.

A life well-lived and an inspiration to all.
_/|\_
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

A beautiful video titled " Pilgrimage to the Sacred Land".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=albRE0Gme94

Takes one through what Goenkaji cherished most , and shared with so many innumerable beings across the world tirelessly .

An ever inspiring footage , in the galaxy of the shinning stars of Dhamma.

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

It was a gentle sure footed surge that i could feel after about 10 pm yesterday night , leaving me clear and willed.

Though the night was sleepless, arising , passing took the night through , knowing that i have not slept , did sleep come through . When awakened by the early dawn , it did feel that i had slept long and sufficient, though not knowing when sleep had taken over .

It left me wondering in the morning , and when i opened the forum , the happenings of the night shone through........

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I remember in a talk I went to in Los Angeles that he gave many years ago, when someone asked if he was a guru. His response was something like, "avoid the clutches of a guru at all costs."

Greatly admired and famous, yet very humble.
Dhamma Bandhu Nitin

Post by Dhamma Bandhu Nitin »

Padma Bhushan Global Vipassana Acharya Dr. Satya Narayan Goenka's Demise

Param Pujya Gurudev Shri Satya Narayan Goenka, Global Acharya of Vipassana Meditation, has passed away peacefully at the ripe age of 90 at his residence on Sunday, 29th September, 2013 at 10:40 PM, Indian Time.

His Funeral will be held on Tuesday, 1st October 2013 at 10:30 AM, Indian Time, at Electric Funeral Ground near Oshiwara Bridge, Relief Road, (Opposite Ghaswala Compound), Jogeshwari West, Mumbai, India.

May he be happy, peaceful & liberated.

''All conditioned things are transitory. When one understands this with wisdom, then he is disgusted with suffering. This is the path to purity.

Dhamma Bandhu Nitin Tambe
Ben

Post by Ben »

David N. Snyder wrote:I remember in a talk I went to in Los Angeles that he gave many years ago, when someone asked if he was a guru. His response was something like, "avoid the clutches of a guru at all costs."

Indeed. I had the opportunity to meet and serve Goenkaji during the 1980s-1990 on a number of times both here in Australia and India. Despite his gregarious personality, he was self-effacing and incredibly humble.
During my first long-course he impressed upon us all the need to develop our own self-reliance on the path, to become independent.
He was a great guy.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

"Again, Bhikkhus, as though he were to see a corpse thrown aside in a charnel ground, one, two, three days dead, bloated, livid, and oozing matter, a bhikkhu compares this same body with it thus, "This body too is of the same nature, it will be like that, it is not exempt from that fate"
In this way he abides contemplating the body as a body internally, and externally, and both internally and externally...And he abides independent, not clinging to anything in the world. That too is how a bhikkhu abides contemplating the body as a body"
-- Satipatthana Sutta (MN10)
In memory of my teacher, Acarya SN Goenka who passed away on 29 Sept 2013.
1381993_10151720224502523_441949046_n (1).jpg
1381993_10151720224502523_441949046_n (1).jpg (61.63 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

dagon

Post by dagon »

Ben wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:I remember in a talk I went to in Los Angeles that he gave many years ago, when someone asked if he was a guru. His response was something like, "avoid the clutches of a guru at all costs."

Indeed. I had the opportunity to meet and serve Goenkaji during the 1980s-1990 on a number of times both here in Australia and India. Despite his gregarious personality, he was self-effacing and incredibly humble.
During my first long-course he impressed upon us all the need to develop our own self-reliance on the path, to become independent.
He was a great guy.
kind regards,

Ben
Speaking on my own behalf (but I suspect many hold the same view) the qualities that you speak of are the same ones that we see in you from your conduct on DW. My interest in what he had taught comes from your conduct on the forum. If you will excuse the term – you have served your master very well.

Metta and Karuna to you and the rest of his very large family

paul
Ben

Post by Ben »

dagon wrote:
Ben wrote:

He was a great guy.
kind regards,

Ben
Speaking on my own behalf (but I suspect many hold the same view) the qualities that you speak of are the same ones that we see in you from your conduct on DW. My interest in what he had taught comes from your conduct on the forum. If you will excuse the term – you have served your master very well.

Metta and Karuna to you and the rest of his very large family

paul
Thank you, Paul, for your kind words.
with metta,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Post by Ben »

Please read below this heartening account written by US acariyas, just arrived in Mumbai. You may pass it on to anyone you feel would like to read it.

With all my metta,

Martin

> On Sep 30, 2013, at 10:03 AM, William Crecelius wrote:
>
>> Dear Dhamma Brothers and Sisters,
>>
>> We arrived in Bombay last night and when we woke up this morning we heard of Goenkaji's passing. We thought we would share with you our experience here.
>>
>> Neha, her mom, Anne and I went over to the house this morning as soon as we finished sitting. They had commandeered a large part of the parking lot for people to leave their shoes and then we were ushered into a large room where they had set out chairs and dhurries for people to sit on. We were fortunate to be one of the first groups ushered up the the 13th floor where they had Goenkaji laid out in a stainless steel coffin with a glass top so you could see him inside. It was not the same one as in the picture that is making its way around and it was in a different room. I think that they probably had to shift some things around because so many people were coming. Originally he was in the shrine room which was too small for many people to pay their last respects.
>>
>> We paid our last respects to Goenkaji and moved into the room that you see in the picture I mentioned above. Mattaji, Elaichi Ben, and later Sila Devi were sitting there together and we went up to pay our respects. It was very nice and she recognized Anne and I and gave us a big smile.
>>
>> It felt very nice there and we stayed for a short while. I had a chance to talk to Sham and he told me that Goenkaji had taken dinner and was in a very jovial mood afterwards. Sometime after dinner he took rest and didn't feel well and the doctor taking his blood pressure said it started dropping. It went down, down, down right to zero. Then it popped back up a couple of times and then nothing. Mataji, Sham and some other brothers and family members were there and it was all very peaceful he said. It was about 10:40 or 10:45 pm Bombay time.
>>
>> This morning the phone was ringing off the hook for a short while here, but after that it has all been very quiet. At the house all those that came were very peaceful and quiet. There were no emotional acts apart from a few who were crying. As one looked around the waiting hall many people were meditating. It was very nice.
>>
>> For many of us he was so much a part of our lives, from when we were very young, and this is the end of an era. A new one is beginning and I think he left us with the tools to take over and move forward.
>>
>> Metta, Bill and Anne

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

bodom

Post by bodom »

:candle:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

:candle:
:bow:
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.