Who is Mara?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
contemplating

Who is Mara?

Post by contemplating »

A personification of unskillful activities?

Some kind of actual deva?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Who is Mara?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There are several previous threads on this:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 44&p=71098&
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
ricebowl

Re: Who is Mara?

Post by ricebowl »

contemplating wrote:A personification of unskillful activities?

Some kind of actual deva?
SN 3.6
PTS: S i 73
CDB i 168
Appaka Sutta: Few
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 1998

At Savatthi. As he was sitting to one side, King Pasenadi Kosala said to the Blessed One: "Just now, lord, while I was alone in seclusion, this train of thought arose in my awareness: 'Few are those people in the world who, when acquiring lavish wealth, don't become intoxicated & heedless, don't become greedy for sensual pleasures, and don't mistreat other beings. Many more are those who, when acquiring lavish wealth, become intoxicated & heedless, become greedy for sensual pleasures, and mistreat other beings.'"

"That's the way it is, great king! That's the way it is! Few are those people in the world who, when acquiring lavish wealth, don't become intoxicated & heedless, don't become greedy for sensual pleasures, and don't mistreat other beings. Many more are those who, when acquiring lavish wealth, become intoxicated & heedless, become greedy for sensual pleasures, and mistreat other beings."

That is what the Blessed One said. Having said that, the One Well-Gone, the Teacher, said further:

Impassioned with sensual possessions,
greedy, dazed by sensual pleasures,
they don't awaken to the fact
that they've gone too far —
like deer into a trap laid out.
Afterwards it's bitter for them:
evil for them
the result.

"Appaka Sutta: Few" (SN 3.6), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, 16 June 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html . Retrieved on 20 September 2013.