Jacobs ladder

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
greggorious

Jacobs ladder

Post by greggorious »

I have been told that this film is about the Six realms of existence. Can anyone verify this?
Who has seen this film and can you draw parallels between the concepts in the film and the six realms of existence?
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
Aloka

Re: Jacobs ladder

Post by Aloka »

greggorious wrote:I have been told that this film is about the Six realms of existence. Can anyone verify this?
Who has seen this film and can you draw parallels between the concepts in the film and the six realms of existence?
According to Wikepedia its a horror film made in 1990

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob's_Ladder_(film)

:shrug:
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Hi Greggorious,

I saw the movie long time ago, so I can't remember much. I remember that it was about a guy who went to Vietnam War, and then he ended up went through a lot of hellish experience, with a lot of hallucinations.

I think it's maybe a stretch to describe the movie as about the six realms of existence... I think it's more about hell.

:anjali:
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

greggorious wrote:I have been told that this film is about the Six realms of existence. Can anyone verify this?
I've seen it, but it's really only earth, hell and the supposed Bardo.

As Rubin's movies go, it's no doubt an improvement on Ghost but all the same, it clearly belongs among the works of his juvenilia. You won't, for example, encounter any of the razor-sharp wit, the lyrical sublimity, or the cognitive and moral challenges that one associates with the works of his mature years, like Stuart Little 2.

Stuart_Little2_poster.jpg
Stuart_Little2_poster.jpg (70.61 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
SDC

Post by SDC »

Ha! Classic delivery with that one, Bhante.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

SDC wrote:Ha! Classic delivery with that one, Bhante.
Yes, I'll admit that I LOL'd. :rofl:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."