Shooter at DC shipyard was Buddhist

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
beeblebrox

Re: Shooter at DC shipyard was Buddhist

Post by beeblebrox »

Still Searching wrote:
appicchato wrote:A 'Buddhist' would not have done what this guy did...end of... :candle:
Agreed! That man is no Buddhist. Hopefully he was sick or had psychological problems and will learn from his mistakes.
pilgrim wrote:Who taught him to use a gun? Buddhism or the Navy?
Buddhism would not teach this man such an act of cruelty, Buddhism only promotes Truth, Peace & Tranquillity.
Hi all,

What did the Buddha use to lead us to these: the truth, peace and tranquility?

I think the first noble truth gives us a big clue... without it, I don't think other noble truths are even possible at all...

It's not really appropriate to judge someone as "not Buddhist" just because he seemed unable to follow the practice as well as others... I don't think that's really useful for our practices.

:anjali:
chownah

Post by chownah »

Judging people as being Buddhist or non-Buddhist is a perfect example of clinging to self view.
chownah
Still Searching

Post by Still Searching »

beeblebrox wrote:
Still Searching wrote:
appicchato wrote:A 'Buddhist' would not have done what this guy did...end of... :candle:
Agreed! That man is no Buddhist. Hopefully he was sick or had psychological problems and will learn from his mistakes.
pilgrim wrote:Who taught him to use a gun? Buddhism or the Navy?
Buddhism would not teach this man such an act of cruelty, Buddhism only promotes Truth, Peace & Tranquillity.
Hi all,

What did the Buddha use to lead us to these: the truth, peace and tranquility?

I think the first noble truth gives us a big clue... without it, I don't think other noble truths are even possible at all...

It's not really appropriate to judge someone as "not Buddhist" just because he seemed unable to follow the practice as well as others... I don't think that's really useful for our practices.

:anjali:
That is a fair debate.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha