The Buddha's fourth discourse

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Vakkali

The Buddha's fourth discourse

Post by Vakkali »

Hey everyone,

From what I've read, it's traditionally understood that the Buddha's first three discourses are ordered this way:

1) The Dhammacakkappavattana sutta
2) The Anatta-lakkhana sutta
3) The Aditapariyaya sutta

Is there any discourse in the sutta pitaka that's supposed to have been delivered next, chronologically? I know it doesn't really matter, but my monkey mind is getting on my case about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,
Vakkali
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: The Buddha's fourth discourse

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The second discourse was the Hemavata Sutta.

There's not a great deal of chronological information given, so it takes some detective work to find out when particular discourses were given.

The Vinaya Mahāvagga is of some help. After the Anattalakkhaṇa Sutta, the Buddha taught Yasa, then his parents, and his four close friends. After that he met and taught the group of thirty youths called Bhaddavāggiya. That was followed by the episode when the Fire Sermon (Ādittapariyāya Sutta) was taught to the fire-worshipping Kassapa Brothers.

Next, the Buddha went to Rājagaha to teach King Bimbisāra, but it only says that he gave a graduated teaching on generosity, morality, and the way to heaven, the disadvantages of sensual pleasures, and the benefits of renunciation, followed by a teaching on the Four Noble Truths.

See "The Buddha and His Teachings," by Venerable Nārada Mahāthera for some attempt at organising the first twenty-five years of the Buddha's dispensation.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Vakkali

Re: The Buddha's fourth discourse

Post by Vakkali »

Thank you so much, bhante. We're very lucky to have you here with us. All the best!