Aussie election: Democracy in action?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Kim OHara

Aussie election: Democracy in action?

Post by Kim OHara »

An interesting list just popped up on the ABC website, http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-06/2 ... on/4939224
The ABC's Vote Compass provided unprecedented insight into the views of Australian voters, capturing more than 1.2 million responses during the federal election campaign.
Here are 21 things Vote Compass has revealed about Australian political life.
Amongst other things, it shows many of my opinions are minority opinions in my home state - no great surprise - but not nationally.
Also that there is majority support (nationally) for gay marriage, more action on climate change, making the mining companies pay more tax, reducing aid to the car industry, and tightening restrictions on CSG. If that were to be reflected in tomorrow's ballot, we'd have a Greens government. :jumping:
It won't happen, of course, but it's disappointing that we are likely to have a government which is on the minority side on all of those issues.

:toilet:

Kim

[edits:fixed formatting]
manas

Re: Aussie election: Democracy in action?

Post by manas »

Hi Kim,

no, it's the Murdochcracy in action... :P

metta
manas _/I\_
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Why An Abbott Election Victory Would Be Good
https://www.thevine.com.au/life/news/wh ... 05-264996/

P.S. Vote Green! (especially in the senate - once the final lay of the land is known, we'll see just how important the senate will be) :mrgreen:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

manas wrote:Hi Kim,

no, it's the Murdochcracy in action... :P

metta
manas _/I\_
For those who don't understand that reference, here's how one of Australia's largest-circulation papers, Murdoch-owned of course, celebrated the announcement of our federal election date.
The bloke on the cover is our Prime Minister.
images.jpg
images.jpg (12.46 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
So much for fair and balanced reporting!

:jedi:
Kim
dagon

Post by dagon »

There is only one valid question in this election - who are you going to vote against.

To paraphase the old saying that:
democracy is like two wolves and a sheep deciding on what they are going to have for dinner
my words - 2 media owners and a conscience deciding what we are going to think :shrug:

metta
paul
dagon

Post by dagon »

Edit due to duplication of post

I wonder if i could get away with doing that when i vote, lol

metta
paul
Last edited by dagon on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

retrofuturist wrote:Why An Abbott Election Victory Would Be Good
https://www.thevine.com.au/life/news/wh ... 05-264996/
Thanks for that link, Retro - it's good, and I will spread it far and wide on Sunday if we get the result we are being told to expect.
retrofuturist wrote:P.S. Vote Green! (especially in the senate - once the final lay of the land is known, we'll see just how important the senate will be) :mrgreen:
Absolutely! And remember ...
never-give-up-frog.jpg
never-give-up-frog.jpg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
:namaste:
Kim
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

A quick perusal of the vine article and so far I agree completely - I've been saying the same thing for ages (even before Rudd).

I am not surprised that people are voting for the Libs, even though I shudder at the consequences. Labor has really squandered its chance, not that it was given much of a chance by the media, it is true. And I hope they ban the incessant polls. Why do we need polls? We have a representative democracy (supposedly), the MPs should have an ear to the ground. The polls create a feedback loop where the constant reporting of the polls actually influences the next poll. This is a perversion of democracy. I also wonder about methodology - apparently some still call landlines - who has landlines now??

Anyway, :toilet:

PS Had a chat with one of the Wikileaks guys who is a colleague yesterday morning. We need a way forward.
_/|\_
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

dagon wrote:Edit due to duplication of post

I wonder if i could get away with doing that when i vote, lol

metta
paul
It's worth trying!

:smile:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

During this election campaign more than any other time I have thought seriously about getting more involved in political action and joining The Greens.
Unfortunately, only recently I had to cancel my modest monthly donations to the UNHCR due to my personal financial situation.
It is expected that Abbott will win in a landslide (in the House). One can only hope that he is constrained by sensible opposition in the Senate.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,

Well, handing out the how to vote cards today was good fun!

It's funny... it's something that once would have been outside my comfort zone, but today I felt I was in my element.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yeah, perhaps when I am more financial I'll join The Greens.
Unfortunately due to my ongoing financial situation I recently had to stop my monthly donation to the UNHCR.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Ben wrote:Yeah, perhaps when I am more financial I'll join The Greens.
You don't have to do that though... I'm not a "paid up" member. I just volunteer, get involved etc. They're not going to turn back any help they can get!

Metta,
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Ben wrote:Yeah, perhaps when I am more financial I'll join The Greens.
You don't have to do that though... I'm not a "paid up" member. I just volunteer, get involved etc. They're not going to turn back any help they can get!

Metta,
I'll second that! :smile:
I'm not a member but they welcomed my help and I spent half the day handing out how-to-vote cards, and enjoyed it, too.
There's an attractive camaraderie between campaign workers of all all parties, e.g. Labor people were happy to look after Greens cards when I took a break, and to hand them out to anyone who asked; or the Lib campaign worker who happily admitted she voted Greens for the Senate; even the Rise Up Australia people were willing to share a laugh.
More importantly, I feel I helped a few people make better choices and I feel that I did what I reasonably could to make the political landscape a little less ugly. If I hadn't got out there, I would be disappointed (and a bit angry) with myself for not supporting my beliefs with action when it came to crunch time.

Now to wait for Senate results ... :?

:namaste:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks guys.
I just turned the ABC back on and as expected - a change of govt is in progress.
I would have liked to help out today but was feeling very unwell the last 24+ hours.
Your public spirit is admirable.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725