The Path of Purification: Visuddhimagga

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
sphairos

Re: The Path of Purification: Visuddhimagga

Post by sphairos »

There probably is no version with Unicode characters. I don't quite understand what problem you get while using this file. You can just type words without diacritics. For instance, "brahmavihara". It perfectly finds the needed "brahmavihāra".
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I have read the following and was very helpful.
:reading:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... on2011.pdf
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

sphairos wrote:There probably is no version with Unicode characters. I don't quite understand what problem you get while using this file. You can just type words without diacritics. For instance, "brahmavihara". It perfectly finds the needed "brahmavihāra".
Hi could you tell me where you can type the words?
It does not show in my computer.
Thanks
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

sphairos wrote:There probably is no version with Unicode characters.
I used to host one on my web site. See this earlier thread
sphairos wrote:I don't quite understand what problem you get while using this file. You can just type words without diacritics. For instance, "brahmavihara". It perfectly finds the needed "brahmavihāra".
Not here it doesn't. Maybe in Adobe Reader, but I use PDF-XChange Editor for viewing PDF files. It doesn't work in Foxit Reader either.

There's also a problem when copying content: e.g. the text copied to the clipboard is "a frog (maóðúka)" instead of "a frog (maṇḍūka).
SarathW wrote: Hi could you tell me where you can type the words?
To search for text in a PDF viewer, use the shortcut Ctrl F, then type the text and press Enter.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, the searching does work with the Adobe reader.

Cut and paste is still a mess:
frog (maóðúka)
:anjali:
Mike
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

SarathW wrote:
sphairos wrote:There probably is no version with Unicode characters. I don't quite understand what problem you get while using this file. You can just type words without diacritics. For instance, "brahmavihara". It perfectly finds the needed "brahmavihāra".
Hi could you tell me where you can type the words?
It does not show in my computer.
Thanks
:)
Hey Sarath,

In the original Adobe Reader you can summon the "find console" by pressing "ctrl" and "f" simultaneously.
How true are your ways?
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
sphairos wrote:
There's also a problem when copying content: e.g. the text copied to the clipboard is "a frog (maóðúka)" instead of "a frog (maṇḍūka).
Dear bhante,

yes, unfortunately it's also the case in Adobe Reader. But I have a brilliant "Pāli keyboard" feature
http://tipitaka.org/keyboard/
(which I also use for Sanskrit diacritics)
so it's a matter of just a few seconds to manually correct the Pāli.
How true are your ways?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

sphairos wrote:Dear bhante,

yes, unfortunately it's also the case in Adobe Reader. But I have a brilliant "Pāli keyboard" feature
http://tipitaka.org/keyboard/
(which I also use for Sanskrit diacritics)
so it's a matter of just a few seconds to manually correct the Pāli.
I also have a brilliant Pāḷi keyboard, but it's not a matter of just a few seconds to correct a whole passage containing Pāḷi words. Find will also not work in Adobe Reader with words like maṇḍūka that contain Latin Extended Additional characters, only those with Latin Extended A or Latin Supplemental, so I still need to find my Unicode version. Surely someone downloaded it since June 2012?

Unfortunately, all of the backups that I could find so far have been updated since I overwrote the Unicode version with the older version from July 2011.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

"but it's not a matter of just a few seconds to correct a whole passage containing Pāḷi words".

Why? It is for me. By the way, what whole passages do you mean? In the ven. Ñāṇamoli's translation there are almost no passages in Pāḷi, and those which are there are tiny. It's really a matter of seconds to correct them.
Adobe Reader with words like maṇḍūka
In that case one can just search for "uka". I did - second match was the needed word.

And of course one can easily go to http://tipitaka.org/ and open the Pāḷi Visuddhimagga.
How true are your ways?
mirco

Post by mirco »

Dhamma Greetings,

maybe some of you might be interested in this book:

Vimuttimagga and Visuddhimagga - A comparative Study by P.V. Bapat

Best Wishes,
Mirco