For convenience sake

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
greggorious

For convenience sake

Post by greggorious »

I was just wandering if any of you practice in a Buddhist tradition that may not exactly be your cup of tea but you go because it happens to be very convenient to you?
I ask this because I happened to bump into a Sri Lanka Buddhist monk virtually outside my house and he told me they've just built a Buddhist temple, walking distance from me. I don't know that much about Sri Lankan Buddhism but I've heard it's the most orthodox of the Theravada schools, which doesn't really thrill me. I'm more familiar with Zen, although it costs a bit to get there then and I also have to pay for it to, whereas this is walking distance and would be free.
Any thoughts? Anyone else encountered something similar?
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
Ben

Re: For convenience sake

Post by Ben »

Greg,

Go check it out!
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I consider every person I meet in my life as a messenger.
Sometimes they appear as strangers or even as enemies.
Just be open mind and see what message they are trying to convey to you.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

We are all just wandering. Sri Lankans make a very nice cup of tea.

Go and check it out. Take from it whatever is helpful to your practice, and leave the rest.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

greggorious wrote:I was just wandering if any of you practice in a Buddhist tradition that may not exactly be your cup of tea but you go because it happens to be very convenient to you?
I sit with a Vajrayana group although I prefer Theravada. It's one of very few groups in my city (and the next nearest city with any kind of group is four hours' drive away), it is well run, friendly, and meets at a time that suits me. The only Theravada group is minuscule, with one visiting monk, and exists only because it serves one of our immigrant communities.
greggorious wrote:I ask this because I happened to bump into a Sri Lanka Buddhist monk virtually outside my house and he told me they've just built a Buddhist temple, walking distance from me. I don't know that much about Sri Lankan Buddhism but I've heard it's the most orthodox of the Theravada schools, which doesn't really thrill me. I'm more familiar with Zen, although it costs a bit to get there then and I also have to pay for it to, whereas this is walking distance and would be free.
Any thoughts? Anyone else encountered something similar?
I agree with previous responses - go for it, and get from it what you can.
One of the biggest advantages could be one that I value with my Vajrayana group: a bunch of nice folk who support and encourage my practice. Without that, I would have dropped away from it several times.

:namaste:
Kim
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

I go to two different Sri Lankan viharas.

Most of the people at the meditation sessions, after the Americans, are Vietnemese and Cambodian immigrants. They don't have a problem with going to a Sri Lankan place.

FWIW, "orthodox" doesn't mean the same thing in regards to Buddhism, meditation, sutta study etc as what that word might mean with Christianity, Judiasm or Islam.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.