MN 10. Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
Jechbi

Re: MN 10. Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta

Post by Jechbi »

Hi Row,
rowyourboat wrote:Sorry for not quoting the specific sutta in this forum.
I'd still be interested in knowing where to find sutta that you described in SN in which the Buddha visits a lay person and he says he has put aside greed and distress with reference to the world using satipattana. If you happen to come across a reference in the future, would you mind sending it by PM? I'll look around some, too.

Thanks.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

will do- I also want to find a sutta which links up revulsion,disenchantment and cessation as an outcome of the practice of satipatthana. This is as close as I got. But I suppose the sutta that development of satipatthana as seeing arising and passing away (satipatthana vibhanga) links up with seeing anicca (see below).

SN 22.39 PTS: S iii 40 CDB i 882
Anudhamma Sutta: In Accordance with the Dhamma (1)
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 2006–2009 At Savatthi. "For a monk practicing the Dhamma in accordance with the Dhamma, what accords with the Dhamma is this: that he keep cultivating disenchantment with regard to form, that he keep cultivating disenchantment with regard to feeling, that he keep cultivating disenchantment with regard to perception, that he keep cultivating disenchantment with regard to fabrications, that he keep cultivating disenchantment with regard to consciousness. As he keeps cultivating disenchantment with regard to form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness, he comprehends form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness. As he comprehends form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness, he is totally released from form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness. He is totally released from sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs. He is totally released, I tell you, from suffering & stress."

SN 22.40 PTS: S iii 41 CDB i 882
Anudhamma Sutta: In Accordance with the Dhamma (2)
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 2006–2009 At Savatthi. "For a monk practicing the Dhamma in accordance with the Dhamma, what accords with the Dhamma is this: that he keep focused on inconstancy with regard to form, that he keep focused on inconstancy with regard to feeling, that he keep focused on inconstancy with regard to perception, that he keep focused on inconstancy with regard to fabrications, that he keep focused on inconstancy with regard to consciousness. As he keeps focusing on inconstancy with regard to form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness, he comprehends form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness. As he comprehends form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness, he is totally released from form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness. He is totally released from sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs. He is totally released, I tell you, from suffering & stress."

SN 22.41 PTS: S iii 41 CDB i 882
Anudhamma Sutta: In Accordance with the Dhamma (3)
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 2006–2009 At Savatthi. "For a monk practicing the Dhamma in accordance with the Dhamma, what accords with the Dhamma is this: that he keep focused on stress with regard to form, that he keep focused on stress with regard to feeling, that he keep focused on stress with regard to perception, that he keep focused on stress with regard to fabrications, that he keep focused on stress with regard to consciousness. As he keeps focusing on stress with regard to form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness, he comprehends form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness. As he comprehends form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness, he is totally released from form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness. He is totally released from sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs. He is totally released, I tell you, from suffering & stress."
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

wow this has been the most popular sutta we've done!
hope the interest continues into the next sutta!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat