How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmness

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Cittasanto

How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmness

Post by Cittasanto »

just came across this video. iit is quite long but some may find it interesting.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Re: How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmness

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Cittasanto,

Thanks for sharing - that was really interesting.

In short, for those without 88 minutes to spare, after a bit of preliminary science, it proposes combination of samatha (calm) meditation and pushing out unwholesome/useless thoughts with calming thoughts/imagery that can alleviate and defuse the cyclical nature of anxiety, worry and stress.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

retrofuturist wrote: In short, for those without 88 minutes to spare, after a bit of preliminary science, it proposes combination of samatha (calm) meditation and pushing out unwholesome/useless thoughts with calming thoughts/imagery that can alleviate and defuse the cyclical nature of anxiety, worry and stress.
Thanks for summarizing the video for those of us who value their time and can't be bothered watching useless trash, Retro. (Besides, I have a dial-up connection. Anyone know how long it takes for 88 minutes to upload on a dial-up connection? I have better things to do with my time.)

This is typical of the modern age's urge to find a quick fix "pill" to use in order to handle an established mental habit. It puts a band-aide on the problem but does not directly address it!

Following the above mentioned advice will only result in the anxiety returning at some point in the future (wherein the practitioner will have to deal with it again, using this quick fix method of truth denial) and will not end the cycle once and for all.

If you want to end anxiety, confront the cause of anxiety and see it for what it truly IS through insight. Otherwise, be content to keep applying these ridiculous quick fixes to a problem that is sure to recur.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ian,

I agree by and large with what you're saying.

I think there is the case however where certain temporary life circumstances of a difficult nature may be temporarily alleviated in such a manner (... it sure beats drugs and alcohol as an option!)

The greater problem would seem to be when anxiety is perennial, and hiding from it merely makes it worse.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

IanAnd wrote:This is typical of the modern age's urge to find a quick fix "pill" to use in order to handle an established mental habit. It puts a band-aide on the problem but does not directly address it!
Hi Ian,
There's nothing "quick fix" about this. The length of the presentation indicates this, along with the work he delineates as necessary to overcome anxiety. It's similar to dhamma practice. "Restlessness" (uddhacca) is the penultimate fetter to be destroyed and is the work of one on the path of non-return. At that point, you're a long way from "quick fix."
Kindly,
dL
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

Retrofuturist wrote: I think there is the case however where certain temporary life circumstances of a difficult nature may be temporarily alleviated in such a manner (... it sure beats drugs and alcohol as an option!)
danieLion wrote: "Restlessness" (uddhacca) is the penultimate fetter to be destroyed and is the work of one on the path of non-return. At that point, you're a long way from "quick fix."
Good points both, with which I do not disagree. I was just saying. . . I consider anxiety a matter best dealt with through insight. Not by employing something to trick the mind out of experiencing anxiety. That is my only point.

Please understand that I was basing my assessment on this description which Retro provided, not from having watched the video:
  • "...it proposes combination of samatha (calm) meditation and pushing out unwholesome/useless thoughts with calming thoughts/imagery that can alleviate and defuse the cyclical nature of anxiety, worry and stress."
This description suggests some kind of quick fix visualization exercise to me. That's why I labeled it a quick fix. If the video says something different it was not expressed very well in the description given. That's all.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Thanks, Cittasanto, for being thoughtful as well as proactive in posting this excellent video for the rest of us.
Thanks for summarizing the video for those of us who value their time and can't be bothered watching useless trash.
The above quote explains why I never watched Schindler's List, or went to see Les Miserables, or never read Leaves of Grass. Why waste time on this useless stuff, when there's hours of Assassin's Creed to play?
Otherwise, be content to keep applying these ridiculous quick fixes to a problem that is sure to recur.
Yeah, I'm guessing Dr. Rossman has no idea of what he's talking about. He may not be your cup of tea, but to invest 88 minutes in this information is well worth one's time. Accept the info, or reject it, but at least watch it before you have an opinion. I'm glad Cittasanto shared this, and I'm guessing these 88 minutes are going to help some people. That's Metta in actual practice.