Historical books regarding Siddhatta Gotama

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ruwan83

Historical books regarding Siddhatta Gotama

Post by Ruwan83 »

Hello Dhamma Friends.

Hope you re all well...

i would like to have advices from you. i would like to know more about the life of Siddhata Gotama. Not an hagiography, but an historical book with an historical approach.

i ve already read Schumann's one. "il Buddha storico". it s the italian title, i don t know the translation from the german to english, cause the author is German and the title is in German language. maybe can translate it as " the historical Buddha" :juggling:

i ve read also, Robinson and johnson "the buddhist religion"... Both texts very usefull!

Do you know more historical books regarding the life of Buddha?

Thank you friends!

with Metta.

Ruwan
Ben

Re: Historical books regarding Siddhatta Gotama

Post by Ben »

Yes.
Life of the Buddha, The

This biography of the Buddha is drawn from the original Pali texts and arranged in a way that tells the story of the Buddha's life while explaining his teaching. Though born a prince surrounded by luxury, Gotama Buddha was transformed by realizing that no one escapes suffering. He found, and for the remainder of his life taught, the answer to the great question: Is there a way out of this cycle? This unique biography presents the oldest authentic record of the Buddha's life and revolutionary philosophy. Vivid recollections of his personal attendant Ananda and other disciples bring the reader into the Buddha's presence, where his example offers inspiration and guidance on the path to freedom.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
chownah

Post by chownah »

Does anyone know a historical source of information about the Buddha's life other than the Pali writings?
chownah
Ruwan83

Post by Ruwan83 »

chownah wrote:Does anyone know a historical source of information about the Buddha's life other than the Pali writings?
chownah
Exactly! but i i think it's impossible cause in that period no one took note about historical facts. no facts were written. it was an oral knowledge... but i hope to find some books or some facts
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

The gospel of Buddha, compiled from ancient records

http://archive.org/details/gospelofbuddhaco00caruuoft

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---