Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terrorist attack?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Sekha

Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terrorist attack?

Post by Sekha »

Nine serial explosions rocked the internationally renowned temple town of Bodh Gaya, including four in the Mahabodhi Temple complex, injuring two monks in the blasts suspected to be engineered by some terrorist organisation.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/o ... 891094.ece
In July 2012, one year ago, the al-Qaeda linked Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan threatened to carry out attacks against Buddhists in retaliation for the communal violence in Myanmar. In June, this year Lashkar-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed publicly charged India with helping Burma “wipe out [the] Muslim population”.
http://www.firstpost.com/india/bodh-gay ... e=top_menu
Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.
Dhp 5
Last edited by Sekha on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cooran

Terror Bomb attacks on Bodghaya - MahaBodhi Temple!!

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

This is absolutely horrific!

Terrorist Serial Blasts at MahaBodhi Temple
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/seri ... 87300.html

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Post by Ben »

Very sad news, indeed.
Metta to all involved and affected.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Pictures of the damage:
http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/bodhg ... red-388891

With metta,
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

This is awful. Thank goodness they have not destroyed the temple. I'm afraid this is just going to add a lot of fuel to the fire of this nazi-monk in Myanmar, and his no good followers.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

It may also worsen the situation in south Thailand
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cooran

Post by cooran »

Finally - a western news source reports this story,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-23216592

With metta,
Chris
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

This didn't make the news in the U.S. at all. Terrible; at least the bombs were very "low intensity" and did not kill anyone or do any significant damage.
Martin Po

Post by Martin Po »

Neither in Europe.
cooran

Post by cooran »

FINALLY

In the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/08/world ... share&_r=0

With metta,
Chris
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

BlackBird wrote:This is awful. Thank goodness they have not destroyed the temple. I'm afraid this is just going to add a lot of fuel to the fire of this nazi-monk in Myanmar, and his no good followers.
Interesting perspective Jack. You worry about the white crow of a violent Buddhist monk, when there are many thousands of Islamic murderous black crows.
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Martin Po

Post by Martin Po »

Will wrote:
BlackBird wrote:This is awful. Thank goodness they have not destroyed the temple. I'm afraid this is just going to add a lot of fuel to the fire of this nazi-monk in Myanmar, and his no good followers.
Interesting perspective Jack. You worry about the white bird of a violent Buddhist monk, when there are many thousands of Islamic murderous black birds.
MN 21 PTS: M i 122
Kakacupama Sutta: The Parable of the Saw

"Phagguna, if anyone were to give you a blow with the hand, or hit you with a clod of earth, or with a stick, or with a sword, even then you should abandon those urges and thoughts which are worldly. There, Phagguna, you should train yourself thus: 'Neither shall my mind be affected by this, nor shall I give vent to evil words; but I shall remain full of concern and pity, with a mind of love, and I shall not give in to hatred.' This is how, Phagguna, you should train yourself.
"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.

"Monks, if you attend constantly to this admonition on the simile of the saw, do you see any aspects of speech, slight or gross, that you could not endure?"

"No, lord."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It is very sad news.
Historically many other nationalities and races have exercised violence against Buddhist.
The same way so called Buddhist also have carried out violence against other religions and nationalities.
So we should see this matter with equanimity. This is an action of ignorance people.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Will wrote:
Interesting perspective Jack. You worry about the white crow of a violent Buddhist monk, when there are many thousands of Islamic murderous black crows.
I was going to give you the simile of the saw, but someone already beat me to it, and I have to wonder Will, whether you've read much of the violence going on in Myanmar lately which has been predominantly caused by this U Wirathu and his fascist 969 organization. Why the suggestion that these are white crows? There's more than just a handful of them...

My perspective is this: Islamic extremists cannot be stopped - You take out one and 10 come to replace him. U Wirathu and his cronies have awoken a sleeping dog, one that will henceforth be intent on violence against our religion. We should do everything in our power to endevour to make it clear to these extermists that U Wirathu and his violent thugs are not representative of our religion on the whole.

In Sri Lanka lately there has also being a growing anti-muslims sentiment. The whole situation in Myanmar is very reminiscent of Nazi Germany and their progressively worse treatment of Jews. This time though, the oppressed will not go quietly to their grave - They're going to fight back. The whole thing is a powder keg of murder waiting to blow, we are actually on the edge of a precipice right now, I just don't know if you realize it Will.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Jack, 'White crows' are extremely rare compared to the normal black crow, as an old Tibetan? saying goes. Thus Buddhist terrorists are very rare cp. to Muslim.

Yes, anti-Muslim feelings are growing apace around the planet. But nothing happens without causes & conditions. Most Buddhists are not like the few Arhans who follow the Saw Sutta. They will defend themselves and even take preemptive actions against the Muslims.

Memories are long in Asia. The Hindus & Buddhists will not forget their past suffering under Islam nor ignore its petrodollar funded rise now.

Have you heard of the Kalachakra prophecy? In the Mahayana world and I suspect in the other parts of Asia, this prophecy that Islam will conquer, by force, much of the planet in the near future is influential. Around 200 or 300 (I forget) years from now Islam will be the totalitarian ruler of nearly all. Then they will set their sights on Central Asia and a mighty countervailing Dharma army will fight back and destroy the grip of Islam.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.