Pali Pronunciation Audio I Made

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
arijitmitter

Pali Pronunciation Audio I Made

Post by arijitmitter »

THIS IS FULLY RERECORDED AND CORRECTED AUDIO [ CREATED ON JULY 2 ] OF MY FIRST RECORDING ON JULY 1

Hi,

I am Arijit. I have uploaded an audio file I created about Pali pronunciation on this website [ see below ]. Please forgive the amateurish attempt and stumblings. I felt because my tongue can weave around Sanskrit perhaps my pronunciation will be of some help.

If anyone can share it in a better way [ better server that I do not know ] please feel free to copy the post and reproduce it and the audio file. It is in WMA format. I did not go to the trouble of changing it to MP3. Make whatever changes you want to share it if you want.

Pali Alphabets

I have selected the Pali alphabet form found most commonly on the internet. There are other ways to write some of the alphabets but I have not used them to avoid complexity and confusion. Table of Pali alphabets are taken from here http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/companion/010001.htm

Vowels

a ā i ī u ū e o

Consonants

k kh g gh ṅ
c ch j jh ñ
ṭ ṭh ḍ ḍh ṇ
t th d dh n
p ph b bh m
y r l v s h

ḷ ṃ

these are the first two paragraphs of Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta SN 56:11 that I read aloud,

Ekaṃ samayaṃ bhagavā bārāṇasiyaṃ viharati isipatane migadāye. Tatra kho bhagavā pañcavaggiye bhikkhū āmantesi:

Dveme, bhikkhave, antā pabbajitena na sevitabbā. Katame dve? Yo cāyaṃ kāmesu kāmasukhallikānuyogo hīno gammo pothujjaniko anariyo anatthasaṃhito, yo cāyaṃ attakilamathānuyogo dukkho anariyo anatthasaṃhito. Ete kho, bhikkhave, ubho ante anupagamma majjhimā paṭipadā tathāgatena abhisambuddhā cakkhukaraṇī ñāṇakaraṇī upasamāya abhiññāya sambodhāya nibbānāya saṃvattati.

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/1 ... nunciation

:namaste: Arijit
frank k

Re: Pali Pronunciation Audio I Made

Post by frank k »

Dear Arijit,
That's really cool that you made this audio. I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but I was skipping around looking for the 2 paragraphs of the sutta passage. Is there somewhere on that audio sample where you read the two paragraphs beginning to end?
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
arijitmitter

Post by arijitmitter »

Hi Frank,

From about 10:55 forwards I have read the first two paragraphs I mention. But I read them word by word not in a rhythm as it is usually read by monks.
If I was saying Jingle - Bell - Jingle - Bell - Jingle - All - The - Way it will sound considerably different from singing " Jingle Bell ". Please keep that in mind when listening.

:namaste: Arijit
Xtofu80

Post by Xtofu80 »

Some Pali words containing an "ṅ":
saṅgha: community of monks / Buddhists
maṅgala: auspicious
aṭṭhaṅga: eight