sarivanija jataka stories new translation?

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
daimond

sarivanija jataka stories new translation?

Post by daimond »

sarivanija jataka 3,

when I reading this story and realize this stories have many shining star flying and wonder to explore and finaly realize the second jataka are a part of this stories so the first jataka it is continue stories.

but there new translation and this new translation cut the ties of the stories betwen the second jataka and the third jataka.

well, so i have question to ask about it.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/j1/j1006.htm
To the door of their house came the greedy hawker on his round, crying "Waterpots to sell! Waterpots to sell!" And the damsel, when she knew be was there, said to her grandmother, "Oh, do buy me a trinket, grandmother."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... tml#jat003

That afternoon, while the greedy peddler was on his rounds, he came to the door of that very house, crying, "Beads for sale! Beads for sale!"

When the young girl heard his cry, she begged, "Please buy me a trinket, Grandmother."

My question, what exactly the trader crying? yes i understand the second more connection and fluid than the first who have odd (this odd make wonder what the stories want to told me).
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: sarivanija jataka stories new translation?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

daimond wrote:My question, what exactly the trader crying? yes i understand the second more connection and fluid than the first who have odd (this odd make wonder what the stories want to told me).
The merchant was crying, “Maṇike gaṇhatha, maṇike gaṇhathā”ti”

Maṇika

There is some doubt over the translation “Water-pot,” for maṇika. “Trinkets, treasures, or valuables,” seems to be a more likely thing for a door-to-door hawker to be buying.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
daimond

Water pots

Post by daimond »

thank you for the answer.

"Water Pot", there no doubt this story have connection to second jataka and first jataka they speaking about a gucci (water jar / water pot).

In a complete view in this story if follow the new translation would cast a doubt why there a barter transaction be done as trader they would see if there equal value from item to barter, the new translation barter (barter check in before transation) would not hapend because there no equal value for a trader to barter a jewel to non valuable pot.