The vinaya should be updated

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Coyote

Re: The vinaya should be updated

Post by Coyote » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:01 pm

binocular wrote: All the legal drugs like coffee, tea, alcohol, nicotine only make me sleepy, drowsy.
I have no idea how people can function after having drunk a cup of coffee in the morning. I'd fall asleep.
I no longer drink caffeinated coffee, mainly because it disrupts my sleeping patterns and causes headaches and sickness if I missed my morning cup. The few times I have had coffee recently made me initially full of energy, but it soon gave way to tiredness, like a sugar slump. Tea isn't too bad, and I usually have a cup in the afternoon.
I think nicotine/cigarettes are borderline because of the addiction tenancy. Since tea and coffee do not have this effect unless you are a heavy drinker, I don't think the ban on intoxicants should include them.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

DNS
Site Admin

Re: The vinaya should be updated

Post by DNS » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: dwarfs

Ven. Bhaddiya was a dwarf during the time of the Buddha, ordained and attained enlightenment.
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Sāvatthī at Jeta's Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika's monastery. And on that occasion Ven. Bhaddiya the Dwarf, following behind a large number of monks, was going to the Blessed One. From afar, the Blessed One saw Ven. Bhaddiya the Dwarf coming, following behind a large number of monks: ugly, unsightly, stunted, treated with condescension[1] by most of the monks. On seeing him, the Blessed One addressed the monks, "Monks, do you see that monk coming from afar, following behind a large number of monks: ugly, unsightly, stunted, treated with condescension by most of the monks?"

"Yes, lord."

"That, monks, is a monk of great power, great might. The attainment already attained by that monk is not of a sort easily attained. And by means of it he has reached & remains in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for himself right in the here-&-now."
Udana 7.5