Anatta takes out metta

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
reflection

Re: Anatta takes out metta

Post by reflection »

Hi,

I understand your problem a bit more now. I agree there is not so much difference between samatha and vipassana and one leads to the other and vice versa. But for me, anatta is not so much a reflection, contemplation or idea. In meditation it's more like a position I'm in. Or not in, as it's a position of 'me' not being there, me not involving in the meditation. If you have a sense of 'you' doing the meditation, 'you' contemplating anatta, you may miss this. As I said earlier, it is not like you decide to see things as anatta from one point on.

There can be more ways to remove restlessness, but for me they come down to the same thing. In a way it is accepting whatever is, which is also an aspect of metta. I'd say just accept restlessness, don't try to counter it with some contemplation if that contemplation blocks you somewhere else. If you can just embrace things as they are, there metta and peacefulness arise together. Ajahn Brahm calls it 'kindfulness'. :rofl:

But I don't know for how long you have this obstacle. As you said, it started recently. I wouldn't worry about it too much because I don't think it will last long. The mind will find a way around it. A greater obstacle to generating metta is being a bit angry at yourself because you can't do it. I'd watch out for that one.

As for metta and compassion, try to find the most easy subject for you and make a sharp mental image of it before wishing it well. This works for me. It may also help to do some more kind acts in real life, remembering that the path is not only meditation. If you're stuck, meditation is not always the factor that's holding you back. For example, upholding the precepts fully is important as well.

Don't want to sound like a teacher or anything, so the above is just my experience and take what you think is helpful, leave the rest.

:anjali:
Reflection
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

reflection wrote: But for me, anatta is not so much a reflection, contemplation or idea. In meditation it's more like a position I'm in. Or not in, as it's a position of 'me' not being there, me not involving in the meditation. If you have a sense of 'you' doing the meditation, 'you' contemplating anatta, you may miss this. As I said earlier, it is not like you decide to see things as anatta from one point on.
Yes it looks like how i view anatta is totally differrent from what you imply.
reflection wrote: There can be more ways to remove restlessness, but for me they come down to the same thing. In a way it is accepting whatever is, which is also an aspect of metta. I'd say just accept restlessness, don't try to counter it with some contemplation if that contemplation blocks you somewhere else. If you can just embrace things as they are, there metta and peacefulness arise together. Ajahn Brahm calls it 'kindfulness'. :rofl:
This isn't quite coherent with my understanding of right effort but nevermind as i need to revise my practice after all.
reflection wrote: But I don't know for how long you have this obstacle. As you said, it started recently. I wouldn't worry about it too much because I don't think it will last long. The mind will find a way around it. A greater obstacle to generating metta is being a bit angry at yourself because you can't do it. I'd watch out for that one.
Some of the distrating thoughts i had also include self frustration and this i managed to overcome with anatta. Anatta is like an Angel to me... :heart:
reflection wrote: As for metta and compassion, try to find the most easy subject for you and make a sharp mental image of it before wishing it well. This works for me. It may also help to do some more kind acts in real life, remembering that the path is not only meditation. If you're stuck, meditation is not always the factor that's holding you back. For example, upholding the precepts fully is important as well.
You are right on this, i think i shall do more dana to cultivate metta instead of keep wrestling with metta meditation.

Thanks again everyone.
Gaoxing

Post by Gaoxing »

Sunnata is Anatta is Metta. Wrong metta? Wrong Anatta? A cup of coffee can also make you feel good but coffee is off track.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Is this any help?
:)
-------------------
“Taken together, these two similes set the stage for the remainder of the discourse, which focuses on the teaching of not-self. This is one of the most easily misapprehended teachings in the Canon largely because it is possible to draw the wrong inferences from it.”
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

SarathW wrote:Is this any help?
:)
-------------------
“Taken together, these two similes set the stage for the remainder of the discourse, which focuses on the teaching of not-self. This is one of the most easily misapprehended teachings in the Canon largely because it is possible to draw the wrong inferences from it.”
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Thanks SarathW, the sutta will help strengthen my understanding of anatta.