Advaitin vs. Buddhist takes on awareness/reality

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: Advaitin vs. Buddhist takes on awareness/reality

Post by tiltbillings »

Judai wrote: . . .
You made the claim about the tathagatagarbha sutras, you need to support it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Judai wrote:birch-bark scrolls . . .Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra and the Bhadrakalpikā sutra.
. . .
And these sutras are dated to?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Judai

Post by Judai »

tiltbillings wrote:
Judai wrote: . . .
You made the claim about the tathagatagarbha sutras, you need to support it.

I did support the claim did you not even read what I posted???you might not know the name of all the Buddha nature sutras(Tathagatagarbha) what i highlighted in BLUE is the main Tathagatagarbha sutra so I have supported my claim.

as far as our seperate discussion about "dating" what I am saying is not a bold claim,its common knowledge that the oldest carbon dated Buddhist texts is a mixture of BOTH the Pali canon and Mahayana texts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C4%81ndh ... B_language

Until 1994, the only Gāndhāri manuscript available to the scholars was a birch bark scroll of a Buddhist text, the Dhammapada, discovered at Kohmāri Mazār near Hotan in Xinjiang in 1893 CE. From 1994 on, a large number of fragmentary manuscripts of Buddhist texts, seventy-seven altogether,[1] were discovered in eastern Afghanistan and Western Pakistan. These include:[2]
29 fragments of birch-bark scrolls of British Library collection consisting of parts of the Dhammapada, Anavatapta gāthā, the Rhinoceros Sutra, Sangitiparyaya and a collection of sutras from the Anguttara Nikaya.
129 fragments of palm leaf folios of Schøyen collection, 27 fragments of palm-leaf folios of Hirayama collection and 18 fragments of palm leaf folios of Hayashidera collection consisting of the Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra and the Bhadrakalpikā sutra.
24 birch-bark scrolls of Senior collection consists of mostly different sutras and the Anavatapta gāthā.
8 fragments of a single birch-bark scroll and 2 small fragments of another scroll of University of Washington collection consisting of probably an Abhidharma text or other scholastic commentaries.
Judai

Post by Judai »

as I said BOTH the Pali canon and Mahayana sutras are found in the Gandhara scrolls
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Judai wrote:as I said BOTH the Pali canon and Mahayana sutras are found in the Gandhara scrolls
But you did not answer the question as to the actual date of the tathagatagarbha sutras, and it is not the "Pali Canon" found in the Gandhara scrolls.

Gaoxing

Post by Gaoxing »

Having read the Suttas the Buddha does not say No-self is suffering. The Buddha said self is suffering and this self and any idea of self or independent entities are only a construct of the Skandha. There can neither be self in any of the aggregates. What makes the self appear is clinging to it and also any other concept of independent entity. Dependent origination negates the possibility of any entity that is a self.

The Buddha equates existence with suffering and self. Once existence is eliminated the threshold of Nirvana is gained. Who sees dependent origination sees the Damma and who sees the Damma sees the Buddha. Beyond the damma there is no Buddha and no self and no suffering.

The twelve components of dependent origination are the three categories of afflictions, actions and suffering. Past, present and future. These again are nothing but ignorance, craving and clinging causing the delusion of existence causing suffering. The twelve components are 1) ignorance 2) volition 3) consciousness 4) name and form 5) Six senses 6) contact 7) feeling 8) craving 9) clinging 10) becoming 11) birth 12) death