Cyber Monks

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sherubtse

Re: Cyber Monks

Post by sherubtse »

Ben wrote:Hi Sherubtse,
sherubtse wrote:What do others think of the modern "cyber monk"?
As opposed to...the ancient cyber-monk?
Sorry, someone had to ask it!

Ben
Cute, Ben. Cute. :smile:

Best wishes,
Sherubtse
Individual

Post by Individual »

sherubtse wrote:Here is something which I find interesting:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bhikkhu-B ... noscript=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think there are several other monks on Facebook, either directly or indirectly. Here is another example:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Bhante-S ... /504985696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do others think of the modern "cyber monk"?

Best wishes,
Sherubtse
For a while now, I've wished that traditional Theravadin monks would get together and do a Buddhist version of the Jewish site AskMoses.com.

AskMoses.com is a site where people can speak directly to experts in Jewish belief and law (usually Rabbis, although there are other teachers too, including women)... Questions can be about anything at all. They also have a compendium of commonly asked questions and their responses.

Well, I thought the same sort of thing for Buddhists, with Buddhist monks, would be neat. It could definitely help a lot of people, sort of as free spiritual counseling in a way that's more accessible than having to travel to a Sangha or directly find a monk and speak with him. Having a similar compendium of Q&As (although there's already lots of info on Accesstoinsight, Buddhanet, and Dhamma Wiki) would help dispel common misconceptions about Buddhism.

This facebook thing, though, seems pretty neat, though, too. I think modern frameworks for teaching dhamma, like "cyber monks", are great!
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Individual wrote:For a while now, I've wished that traditional Theravadin monks would get together and do a Buddhist version of the Jewish site AskMoses.com.
ther is a ask a monk site by a zen monk, not exactly a cross school thing but defenetly a start
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

I had some thoughts in the winter about the ancient cyber-monks! :alien:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbMVlZVOFjc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

gavesako wrote:I had some thoughts in the winter about the ancient cyber-monks! :alien:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbMVlZVOFjc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you Bhante for the talk. It was good.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks