How do you contemplate anatta?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
User avatar
Ben
Posts: 18442
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: kanamaluka

Re: How do you contemplate anatta?

Post by Ben » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:47 am

Pacceka1996 wrote:hahaha.. maybe finding one's 'self' is what part of this is all about isn't it?
No.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Pacceka1996
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:17 am

Re: How do you contemplate anatta?

Post by Pacceka1996 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:58 am

Ben wrote:
Pacceka1996 wrote:hahaha.. maybe finding one's 'self' is what part of this is all about isn't it?
No.
Okay. :-). Then good luck.

User avatar
Ben
Posts: 18442
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: kanamaluka

Re: How do you contemplate anatta?

Post by Ben » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 am

Pacceka1996 wrote:
Ben wrote:
Pacceka1996 wrote:hahaha.. maybe finding one's 'self' is what part of this is all about isn't it?
No.
Okay. :-). Then good luck.
Luck has nothing to do with it. But thanks anyway.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

User avatar
lyndon taylor
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: Redlands, US occupied Northern Mexico
Contact:

Re: How do you contemplate anatta?

Post by lyndon taylor » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:52 am

(Don't take this too seriously, a little tongue in cheek)

Try as I might I still don't know if I have a self, and I definetly don't know what self is, just that its bad and I should get rid of it. But what is it, how do I get rid of something I'm not even sure what it is, or if I have one, I know the 5 badguyragettes, and they are bad guys, not to be trusted, But if I completely ignore the 5 bad guys, I won't be able to drive to the coffee shop to eat, or type on my computer, so I compromise, I use the 5 bad guys, but I try not to let them use me. I wish I could tell you what it is like to be enlightened and not have all these problems, but to do that I'd have to be really pulling your leg, hope you've enjoyed my little story, now back to the real playas.....
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Pacceka1996
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:17 am

Re: How do you contemplate anatta?

Post by Pacceka1996 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Okay. :-). Then good luck.[/quote]
Luck has nothing to do with it. But thanks anyway.[/quote]

:-D Forgive: I am new to Dharma speak.
ummm... self.Self - that which seeks liberation.
Synonym: the self, soul. spirit. character. Citta (pali)
Antonym: Me. I. Ego. mine. myself.

User avatar
kirk5a
Posts: 1959
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: How do you contemplate anatta?

Post by kirk5a » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:18 pm

Pacceka1996 wrote:hahaha.. maybe finding one's 'self' is what part of this is all about isn't it? Losing the ego, which is perceived as self, that hollow empty shell all want and desire. But self.. ohh.. that's way way way down deep inside. Maybe, cling to nothing, and what's left.. self.
Ajahn Maha Boowa wrote: The mind’s brightness and clarity appear to be so extraordinary and awe-inspiring, that nothing can possibly compare. The luminous essence is the epitome of perfect goodness and virtue, the ultimate in spiritual happiness. It is your true, original self — the core of your being. But this true self is also the fundamental source of all attachment to being and becoming. Ultimately it is attachment to the allure of this primordial radiance of mind that causes living beings to wander indefinitely through the world of becoming and ceasing, constantly grasping at birth and enduring death.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatta#Th ... _Tradition
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

Pacceka1996
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:17 am

Re: How do you contemplate anatta?

Post by Pacceka1996 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:51 pm

kirk5a wrote:
Pacceka1996 wrote:hahaha.. maybe finding one's 'self' is what part of this is all about isn't it? Losing the ego, which is perceived as self, that hollow empty shell all want and desire. But self.. ohh.. that's way way way down deep inside. Maybe, cling to nothing, and what's left.. self.
Ajahn Maha Boowa wrote: The mind’s brightness and clarity appear to be so extraordinary and awe-inspiring, that nothing can possibly compare. The luminous essence is the epitome of perfect goodness and virtue, the ultimate in spiritual happiness. It is your true, original self — the core of your being. But this true self is also the fundamental source of all attachment to being and becoming. Ultimately it is attachment to the allure of this primordial radiance of mind that causes living beings to wander indefinitely through the world of becoming and ceasing, constantly grasping at birth and enduring death.
Oh... so then now i understand pra ajarn's definition of citta a little more. thank you. but still not the word i look for. If a person glimpses Nirvana, what is then name of the entity (if not self) that does the observing? .. what is it called please?

User avatar
kirk5a
Posts: 1959
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: How do you contemplate anatta?

Post by kirk5a » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Pacceka1996 wrote:Oh... so then now i understand pra ajarn's definition of citta a little more. thank you. but still not the word i look for. If a person glimpses Nirvana, what is then name of the entity (if not self) that does the observing? .. what is it called please?
Is this a satisfactory answer?
Of nibbāna, O king, it cannot be said that it is perceptible by the five senses, but it is perceptible by the mind. The disciple whose mind is pure, and free from obstructions can perceive nibbāna”
http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Pesala/Mil ... ments.html
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

Pacceka1996
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:17 am

Re: How do you contemplate anatta?

Post by Pacceka1996 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:31 pm

kirk5a wrote:
Pacceka1996 wrote:Oh... so then now i understand pra ajarn's definition of citta a little more. thank you. but still not the word i look for. If a person glimpses Nirvana, what is then name of the entity (if not self) that does the observing? .. what is it called please?
Is this a satisfactory answer?
Of nibbāna, O king, it cannot be said that it is perceptible by the five senses, but it is perceptible by the mind. The disciple whose mind is pure, and free from obstructions can perceive nibbāna”
So the mind can glimpse. Interesting. Thank you. And is there there then a suitable name for the entity that enter's Nirvana. If not self.. what then?

User avatar
kirk5a
Posts: 1959
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: How do you contemplate anatta?

Post by kirk5a » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Pacceka1996 wrote:So the mind can glimpse. Interesting. Thank you. And is there there then a suitable name for the entity that enter's Nirvana. If not self.. what then?
I think that question is getting tangled up in the concept of "the entity that enters Nirvana"

Maybe a little more from Ajahn Maha Boowa will help.
Try imagining yourself standing in an empty room. You look around and see only empty space — everywhere. Absolutely nothing occupies that space — except you, standing in the middle of the room. Admiring its emptiness, you forget about yourself. You forget that you occupy a central position in that space. How then can the room be empty? As long as someone remains in the room, it is not truly empty. When you finally realize that the room can never be truly empty until you depart, that is the moment when that fundamental delusion about your true self disintegrates, and the pure, delusion-free mind arises.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatta#Th ... _Tradition
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

Pacceka1996
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:17 am

Re: How do you contemplate anatta?

Post by Pacceka1996 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Maybe a little more from Ajahn Maha Boowa will help.
Try imagining yourself standing in an empty room. You look around and see only empty space — everywhere. Absolutely nothing occupies that space — except you, standing in the middle of the room. Admiring its emptiness, you forget about yourself. You forget that you occupy a central position in that space. How then can the room be empty? As long as someone remains in the room, it is not truly empty. When you finally realize that the room can never be truly empty until you depart, that is the moment when that fundamental delusion about your true self disintegrates, and the pure, delusion-free mind arises.
words are a problem yes.. and it does help. Thank you. Rings of Schrödinger's cat thought experiment and quantum mechanics. I'm still left with a meta description problem, but for now let it be. Not important. No point clinging to it. hahaha. :-D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests