My foot keeps falling asleep

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bga

My foot keeps falling asleep

Post by bga »

Sometimes when I meditate cross-legged for more than 10 minutes at a time, my foot falls asleep. I don't really mind since it doesn't affect my concentration or mindfulness. I simply note it and move on. The only reason it's a problem is that the numbing starts to travel up my leg and I become concerned about the lack of blood traveling to my foot. So, if anyone has any suggestions on how I should deal with this it would be much appreciated. I hope everyone is having a happy Visākha Pūjā!
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāyā’ti

"All phenomena are unworthy of attachment"
SN 7.58
santa100

Re: My foot keeps falling asleep

Post by santa100 »

You might want to try one of those meditation benches. They help relieve some pressure off the legs..

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... tion+bench
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

The numbness is not due to a loss of circulation, but pressure being put on a nerve. Don't worry: it's harmless and you can meditate just fine with a numb foot.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi bga,

You might try the "Burmese" posture, which avoids having legs on top of each other:
http://zmm.mro.org/teachings/meditation-instructions/
http://www.bisbeelotussangha.org/sittingpostures.htm

:anjali:
Mike
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

bga wrote:Sometimes when I meditate cross-legged for more than 10 minutes at a time, my foot falls asleep. I don't really mind since it doesn't affect my concentration or mindfulness. I simply note it and move on. . . . So, if anyone has any suggestions on how I should deal with this it would be much appreciated.
mikenz66 wrote:You might try the "Burmese" posture, which avoids having legs on top of each other...
Or shifting from the cross-legged position you start out with and into the Burmese position in order to lesson the pressure on the nerve causing the numbness. I do this all the time whenever the need crops up. Shifting your position during meditation should not be seen as any kind of no-no or whatever. If you're able to endure the circumstance without it bothering (distracting) you, then fine and dandy. But, never hesitate to shift your position in order to facilitate comfort in your sitting.

There are some who may say: "No, don't change position, but bear the pain and explore your reactions for the sake of insight about it." And while that might be good once or twice, it soon becomes old, and there is no need for having to put up with it. Do whatever helps you to continue making progress in your practice (relieves a distracting situation) and don't feel none-the-less for having done so.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Sit in a straight-backed chair if you have recurring physical problems. I've never been to a meditation class that hasn't had chairs available for those who need them.

mirco

Post by mirco »

Jep. Try a chair. There's no magic in sitting on the floor.

Be Well :-)
Digity

Post by Digity »

If you're not, try sitting on a pillow. I stopped having any major numbness when I did that.
bga

Post by bga »

Thanks friends!
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāyā’ti

"All phenomena are unworthy of attachment"
SN 7.58
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I also vote chair
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Just be grateful that it is only your foot.

:zzz:
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bretteo

Post by Bretteo »

Get a pillow. I was never able to sit comfortably after slouching all through high school.