"Your idea or point or post is of no value"

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Nicholas Weeks

"Your idea or point or post is of no value"

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

We all do not value every aspect of Dhamma practices or doctrines equally. Nor do we all value or respect certain threads or posts or phrasing. But the author does and others (perhaps lurkers) do too. This probably has to do with us not being clones of each other.

I find it ugly to find such indifference or contempt for others' words expressed here.

So live and let live and let us forbear with that which seems boring, pointless, irrelevant, silly or whatnot.

If it is wildly off topic or something equally horrid, then say so. But even that should probably be left to the Admin & staff.
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
jcsuperstar

Re: "Your idea or point or post is of no value"

Post by jcsuperstar »

what'd i miss?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Will, Hi all,

Perhaps it would be best if members treated others as they would like to be treated. Show the respect to others you would like to be shown. We can only hope to influence the actions of others by moderating our own behaviour.

I believe we have a great opportunity here at Dhamma Wheel by building an environment that is founded on mutual respect and friendliness, on the qualities of loving kindness, compassion, equanimity and sympathetic joy. I hope it will become a community where its members feel welcome and have a sense of belonging and feel that there individual practices are supported. The flip-side of course is that Dhamma Wheel should be an environment where its members feel free to respectfully and honestly explore the many issues without fear that such discussion will be interpreted or dismissed as 'sectarian', 'materialist', or 'eternalist'.

I hope Dhamma Wheel will benefit all who contribute and read here.
Through our actions here, may all beings be happy!

Bhavatu Sabba Mangelum!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Will wrote:I find it ugly to find such indifference or contempt for others words expressed here.
Are you saying you have contempt for other's words when those words express contempt?
So live and let live and let us forbear with that which seems boring, pointless, irrelevant, silly or whatnot.
By "live and let live" do you mean "start a thread criticizing the posts of others"? Is this thread an example of forbearance?
If it is wildly off topic or something equally horrid, then say so. But even that should probably be left to the Admin & staff.
Did you leave it to the Admins & staff?

My point is simple this: All we can do effectively is look to our own faults. Leave other's faults to others.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Hi Peter,

Will wrote this directly after reading a thread I started, so maybe it was in response to that.

It was a strange thing; I shared a quote I read from the Dhammapada and people got all over my case. The thread has since been appropriately moderated and does not reflect anything weird.

It's a new site, and childbirth can hurt a little at times. Let's all hang in there!

:bow:
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

At this stage one thing I like about this board is that there's the opportunity to make mistakes and commit faux pas without having one's post made invisible. Obviously different people are going to read posts in different ways, and at least around here that is recognized for what it is: an honest attempt to communicate underlying valid points.

(On the other board, I estimate that at least 20% of my posts have been turned invisible by mods and admins, although in each case I honestly felt the post was legitimate and ought to have remained visible.)

So let's give each other space.
:heart:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Placid-pool

Post by Placid-pool »

Will wrote:We all do not value every aspect of Dhamma practices or doctrines equally. Nor do we all value or respect certain threads or posts or phrasing. But the author does and others (perhaps lurkers) do too. This probably has to do with us not being clones of each other.

I find it ugly to find such indifference or contempt for others words expressed here.

Exactly what I was trying to say in my post on Kindness which has now been locked - thank you for underlining the sentiment.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Of these the worse is he who to one angry
Replies with wrath.
Do not reply with wrath to one who's angry
And win a battle hard to win!
You course then for the weal of both,
Yourself and of the other one.
You understand the other's angry mood,
Remaining mindful and at peace.
-- S i 162
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Will,

If you find something objectionable, please use the Report Post function to report it and we'll investigate.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."