Help! Looking for a passage in the commentaries

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Lazy_eye

Help! Looking for a passage in the commentaries

Post by Lazy_eye »

Some time back I was reading a commentary passage that discussed the various afflictions and categorized them in two ways: a) in terms of their relative harmfulness, and b) in terms of the ease/difficulty with which they can be uprooted.

For example, anger was said to be very harmful but relatively easy to abandon. Sense-desire was said to be least harmful but hardest to eradicate.

The source providing the commentary also provided a discussion that included a chart.

Unfortunately, I forgot to bookmark the link and now I can't seem to locate it or reconstruct the search that I did earlier. Does anyone know what this commentary might be?

Thanks for any assistance.
santa100

Re: Help! Looking for a passage in the commentaries

Post by santa100 »

Maybe AN 3.68 ( http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html ):
The Blessed One said, "Monks, if you are asked by wanderers of other sects, 'Friends, there are these three qualities. Which three? Passion, aversion, & delusion. These are the three qualities. Now what is the difference, what the distinction, what the distinguishing factor among these three qualities?' — when thus asked, you should answer those wanderers of other sects in this way, 'Friends, passion carries little blame and is slow to fade. Aversion carries great blame and is quick to fade. Delusion carries great blame and is slow to fade
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

That's great. Thanks Santa100!

What I had found was a commentary rather than a sutta. But the sutta passage you quoted appears to be saying the same thing. Maybe the commentary I was looking for is connected with AN 3.68.

A good lead, anyway!
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

And indeed, here is the document I had been looking for. Bookmark added.

http://dharmafarer.org/wordpress/wp-con ... 8-piya.pdf

Appreciate your help in finding this.

:namaste:
santa100

Post by santa100 »

You're welcome... :anjali: