Putting your wealth in context

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Kim OHara

Re: Putting your wealth in context

Post by Kim OHara »

corrine wrote:I was raised that ten per cent was for caring (actual charity) and ten per cent was for sharing (that is, giving to and helping friends and/or family who may be in need).

My father taught me to live way below my means, whatever that happened to be, to save for whatever happens in the future and to share whatever I am fortunate enough to be given. I try. I do not always succeed. I am frequently told I am a fool to share what I have. Maybe. But I was told, and I believe, that sharing doubles joy and halves sorrow.

But then, living where I do makes it easy because, really, we all here have much more than we need and we waste a great deal. I think that sometimes those of us to whom much has been given, take it all for granted. We think in terms of being able to afford a newer, bigger television or a fancier phone, and not about finding money just to put food on our tables. It is all about perspective. I think sometimes the more we have the more we seem to require to make us feel comfortable.

corrine
:goodpost:

Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Kim,

Here you go - just in today:
If you listen to the nation's political leaders the 'hard-working families of Australia' are 'doing it tough'.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard has repeatedly promised to "support modern families with the stresses and strains of everyday life".
While last week Opposition Leader Tony Abbott pledged to "help the forgotten families of Australia with cost of living pressures".
It's a simple election pitch: almost everyone wants more financial help and opinion polls show cost of living is again a key concern in marginal electorates in the major cities.
But should it be?
"I would regard Australians as never having it so good," says Commsec chief economist Craig James.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-24/j ... ng/4647786
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Wow I'm in the top half percent of planetary population!
There are only 37 million people who earn more than me, in a world of seven thousand million people. Seven billion.
And I'm living in a flat with four other people to split the rent and bills.
I guess it's all relative.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

James the Giant wrote:I guess it's all relative.
That is precisely the way I looked at it when I tried it. Depending on which method I use, I get an insanely different result, and even though I have virtually no debt (200-ish dollars in dental bills hardly counts) and no major luxury subscriptions (like cable TV), I still can't get by without begging from the inlaws every six months.

If this is what it feels like to be in the top 1% (or top 10%, either way), it isn't worth it folks. LOL
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

What an excellent site
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
mogg

Post by mogg »

The funny thing about wealth is, no matter how much you earn, you never feel wealthy. I was making a high income in Australia but so were all my peers so I just felt normal (actually unsatisfied would be more accurate). When I moved to Singapore (and ultimately Hong Kong) I was making many multiples of my previous Australian salary but felt average (unsatisfied) yet again because the goal posts had shifted and all my new peers/friends were making mega-bucks. Its never enough, and you never feel satisfaction.

Now I'm 'retired' and in Thailand trekking the dhamma path. I'm making less money now than I did as a 22 yr old grad...and I feel richer than I ever have :)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Mogg
I wish that everyone in this world understand what you said. We understand this mainly we are rich unfortunately.
Even Buddha realise this being a prince. People think that there is a correlation with wealth and happiness.
:) They are too different things.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
mogg wrote:The funny thing about wealth is, no matter how much you earn, you never feel wealthy.
Buddhist author Ethan Nichten addresses "the inadequacy principle" in his book "One City: A Declaration Of Interdependence"... well worth a look if you or anyone else are interested in it.

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
chownah

Post by chownah »

Putting your wealth in context, using the Ariya-Vampsa sutta as the context:
Any old lodging will do
Any old food will do
Any old clothing will do
chownah
Dennenappelmoes

Post by Dennenappelmoes »

SDC wrote:First World Problems

For even more perspective.
:D These are true, and they are funny, but I do think we should watch out and not rob people from their right to feel bad about something. Many people in the 1st world have terrible amounts of suffering and on top of that feel guilty because they think that their suffering is nothing compared to that of people in 3rd world countries. By contrast, people in for example Ethiopia are generally positive minded and make the most out of what they have and tend to live a much simpler life. Personally, if I look beyond the obvious fact that I'm used to my life the way it is, I have no strong preference to be born where I am as opposed to some poor area. I imagine you can be pretty sad if you're watching tv and there's commercials on all channels, even though you're a total rich spoiled fat European/American. :tantrum:

That said, it is good to be reminded of our wealth so that we'll give more to charity - I think poor people know better what to do with wealth than rich people :thumbsup: